Jackets: M90 compared to Nanok SF?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Hi

how do the Sweedish M90 and Nanok SF (of which I have one) compare isolation-wise? Obviously the M90 is longer, covering more of the legs. And I understand the isolation is pile while the nanok has some synthtic fibre. Also the outer fabric of the Nanok is synthetic while M90 is mix of cotton and synthetic.

Are they targetting the same temperature ranges?

Also, I guess a M90 woul dbe significantly warmer than a M65 + liner, right?

Cheers
P.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
M90 (particularly the older version with the thicker (non-tuckawayable) hood) - big, thick, heavy, bulletproof - designed I'm guessing to have several insulating layers underneath. The Nanok is much lighter, less resistant to tears/burns etc, but probably warmer on its own than the M90.

leatherneck

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2005
U.S.
Just wondering of anyone else who has seen or owned both can provide anymore feedback on this comparison.

mr walloping

Mar 14, 2011
in my house
I own both types of jackets and the nanok sf i have which came with removable hood,trousers and booties is much warmer than the m90 on its own.The m90 is designed to go over existing cold weather clothing so is not that warm on its own.The nanok is toastie on its own with a (base layer etc) underneath.

May 23, 2012
Highlands
I have the Nanok sf - designed to be worn over your clothing when being stopped, as a warmth layer, it should have x2 hood. Mitt pockets & pulls to adjust

The M90 - Swedens version (Varmajacka) is long & light weight the fixed hood is best

I use my Nanok having ski rests & my M90 when camp is set up - Nanok is too hot for ski & walking round in !!!!!!

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
No experience of the nanok, but at £17.50 for a mint one the M90 Värmejacka is fantastic value. It's a proper length to keep the nether regions warm. I found the insulated hood too damn huge (fits over kevlar helmet I assume) so went for foldaway hood version. The M90 shell is polycotton, with polyester wadding insulation. I'd wanted to get a M59 with pile liner, but none were available in a tall fitting, plus its much heavier and bulkier, I'd guess it would be warmer then the M90.

More info here:
http://www.soldf.com/varmejacka_byxa.html

PS. Just checked the hood in mine, it'd be easy to add a velcro-in insulating liner to provide that option. Also just to echo what's been said above, the M90 shell material does seem to vary, some are noticeably heavier weight than others. Try before you buy always best I think.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE