Jack Wolfskin Gossamer Tent 1 Person

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I had one and was quite happy with it although it is very small and I found it could give rise to condensation problems on cold nights. It is quite good value for money. I sold it to another member when I discovered that advancing age made it very difficult to get in and out of. It rather reinforced my long held view that for the slight difference in weight, one may as well take a small two-man.

May I suggest that you do a bit more research as there seem to be more similar products on the market since I bought mine. The Outdoorsmagic.com site has several reviews of it Sorry, I don't know how to do links!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've not used that one, but gear storage is the biggy for me (as well as in and out as ot says). Whatever your shelter you need to be able to get you and all yoour gear out of the rain, remove your boots without treading on your sleeping bag etc. I have a hooped bivvy or two and invariably need a tarp for cooking and gear storage....at which point a larger tent would make more sense - even just an ultralight one man with a decent storage area

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Thanks got the replies guys, by the sound of it, it's a bit cramped and I'll need to but up the tarp as a porch option for my gear and cooking etc. I'll let you know how I get on in jan when I take it out for a spin with the Norfolk group meet thanks again for your input

Cheers

Rick

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi Ricky,

I was the buyer of old timers tent.

Iv gotta say I liked it a lot, until I used it in bad weather, if you can get changed etc outside then it aint a problem, but when I used it in the rain it was a pain as I couldnt even sit up in it!!

However in lovely weather it is a cracking shelter, I would use it as a 2 season shelter, I have not had the chance to use it with the zip cover open yet so you can see the stars but i love the idea of it!

My advice for you, if your planning to use it year round, do youself a favour and buy a micro tarp that you could put your gear/cook/get changed under in bad weather.

Reason for a micro tarp is that if you buy a full size tarp, plus the weight of the tent, you may aswell just take a bigger tent in the first place for the same weight.

Hope this helps

Steve

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I have a Rab Ridge master bivvy. Id agree with the above though, brilliant in good weather.. bad weather not so much.
I ended up with a micro tarp for storage and extra shelter outside, then i had to get a groundsheet for under that as i hate my stuff lying about on wet grass/muck. Also getting into the bivy and keeping sleeping bag clean/dry was a bit of a task with no groundsheet outside to sit/kneel on.

Brilliant for the small pack size (unsure about the jack wolfskin one), nice and light also. But if your carring a tarp/groundsheet your probably back up to a one/two man tent weight, which has far more space/storage.

So i ended up with the bivy plus a Zephyros 1. Might hang onto the bivy for 1 nighters high up a hill, but i think the zephyros will see far more action now, being that its almost the same weight and probably take the weather just the same.

All depends how much you like your space/comforts.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE