I've made a pole lathe

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I have joined the ranks of the pole lathers. This has been a work in progress for some time, and I have just got round to finishing it.

I suppose technically it isn't a pole lathe, as it uses a bungee cord to provide the spring. Here is the wobbly softwood bungee support frame.

It has been a steep learning curve. Things I have learnt so far :-

1. It is not as easy as the professionals make it look. I was lucky enough to see Mike Abbott do a demo once, idly chatting away while the tools moved in a blur and lovely shavings came flying off.

2. I need some bigger tools. I only have small carving tools at the moment, which suffice, but wider gouges and chisels would not have so much of a tendency for the corners to dig in.

3. Poundshop "utility rope" (looks a bit like paracord, but isn't) is probably not the ideal cord, but it will do for now. What types of cord do any other pole lathers use?

4. The pleat on the leg pocket of Craghoppers Kiwi trousers makes an ideal trap for wood shavings.

I must remember to empty it before I go indoors, otherwise incur the wrath of the domestic authorities (my mum).

5. When you get the tool angle right and get into the rhythm, and a smooth shaving swishes off your gouge, it is very satisfying

The piece in the lathe is going to be a baby's rattle. This was the piece that I saw Mike Abbott make in his demo.

Not finished yet, two rings liberated with one to go.

Thanks for looking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :D
Pole lathes come in the most wonderful confusion of configurations; your's looks very tidy :)

One of my friends (another pole lathe-er) went to the Bodger's Ball and he said, still with a look of delight on his face, as he described the sheer range, that he had a new collective noun for pole lathes like that. He called it an "Amazement" of pole lathes :D

Rope ? I've seen them rigged with everything from clothes line to nettle and catgut.
The one at the Crannog Centre just uses polypropolene. It's cheap, it lasts remarkably well too.

A very hard up friend went to some carboot sales and he bought huge old woodworking files. He used metal working files to shape those and then sharpened them. He made a set of ten for under £2....and a lot of elbow grease :) He said later that old moulding planes which have been totally rendered obsolete by routers have really good blades that can be shafted to give longer tools that are great for fine detail.

Great fun all round :D

cheers,
M

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
Very nice! I always hope to have space for one once. (and the skills to make one, if i am lucky.) yours looks neat. Well done!

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
a pole lathe has been on my list of things to build this winter if it stops raining for five minutes! Thus far, it hasn't :(

Your lathe is looking good, as is the rattle. Try taking the corners off the chisels, it'll stop them digging in when you least want it. I know a lot of folk are scared of skew chisels for that reason, but I love them (once you get the hang of them)

The favoured cords seem to be engine starter cord (like on a mower or chainsaw), leather strap or conveyor belt strap if you can find it :)

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
To make the frame less wobbly, try adding 2x1's either side at 90 degrees to the ones you already have (so you end up with a T section looking down from above). They look a bit flimsy at present, and believe me its a hell of a shock if they snap on you....
On my latest pole lathe (C2011-I built my first one in 1980 out in the Canadian wilderness) I used some webbing about 5/8 inch wide. It worked ok especially as it got a bit "furry" after being used a while, it never slipped and I was turning up to 12 inch diameter bowls. On that build I got lucky, I rescued a length of bungee rope from the kids old trampoline. I was able to adjust the tension strength by the number of wraps between the uprights. If you get slipping, try 2 or 3 turns around the billet instead of only 1.
As regards tools, even a small blade becomes more usable in a longer handle. And ebay as ever has some decent items from time to time
Good luck with it, cheers Jonathan :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, I'm officially impressed. Never used a pole lathe so have no insights to offer - but as a home made project, that looks great.

Most importantly you have made something with your hands, built, created - actually done something.

Congratulations - looks good :)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
To make the frame less wobbly, try adding 2x1's either side at 90 degrees to the ones you already have (so you end up with a T section looking down from above). They look a bit flimsy at present, and believe me its a hell of a shock if they snap on you....

This sounds like excellent advice Mr Dazzler, I don't think I want those uprights snapping on me.

To Dave Budd - Thanks for the advice on rounding the corners of the chisels, I'll look out for some second hand tools to modify as I want to keep my existing tools for their existing purposes. Also thanks for the advice on the cords.

To everyone else - thanks for the positive feedback and various little tips. This forum is great!

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Here is a picture of the completed rattle, along with a small vase, a light pull (not finished yet as it needs drilling out) and a trial piece to see how to turn a captive ring.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Those look really good. Well done!

Out of curiosity, was your only turning experience before this a Mike Abbott demo?

Here is a picture of the completed rattle, along with a small vase, a light pull (not finished yet as it needs drilling out) and a trial piece to see how to turn a captive ring.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Those look really good. Well done!

Out of curiosity, was your only turning experience before this a Mike Abbott demo?

I've done metal turning on a proper lathe before, but no wood turning. Having seen the pole lathe demonstrated so ably I knew I must have a go myself. By the way the book "Green Woodwork" by Mike Abbott is a very good primer for those interested in getting into all aspects of green wood crafts.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Turning is very addictive isn't it
I'm aching to get out now but will have to wait until the weekend I guess

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE