I've just been given a Parachute, what can I use it for?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi folks,

My Uncle has just given me a parachute he had stashed in his attic & says he has no use for anymore.
It's olive green, circular, has mesh panels around edge & seems to be made out of ripstop nylon, all paracord has been removed & no parts seem to have been cut out. It's raining here so haven't had the chance to open it out or take piccies.

As the title of thread suggest, what can I use it for? Is it Possible to make a tent out of it or can it just be used for making group shelters? Or are their other use's for the material?

Any advice appreciated.

Tree

ANDYRAF

Settler
Mar 25, 2008
St Austell Cornwall
They do make good hammocks and also an excellent windproof smock because of the closeness of the weave. I have no idea where you can get a pattern, you could make something similar to a Buffalo shirt.

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Loads of uses, (especially if you can use a sewing machine!): zoot suit; folded from point into wedge tent; group shelter (a la Woodlore!); family tent; hammocks as mentioned before; if I can think of any more I'll let you know!:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I helped some friends put one up on Friday to make a covered working space for a basketmaker :cool:
If you use three poles you can make them into a frame to hold a hanging firebowl as well as keeping the roof up :D

cheers,
Toddy

I'm not wearing ripstop nylon underwear :eek: no matter what the colour :D .

I wouldn't mind making a sort of tipi for the family though, if thats possible, I have an old dome tent I could use for donor bits as well.

Does anyone know where I could get a pattern from. I've got my own sewing machine & am not to bad with that.

Tree

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Underwear? Well, that's what they made them out of during the war. Not sure about the colour though.

I think you'll find that during the war the parachutes were made out of silk which were ideal for underwear so I don't blame Treeclipper for declining that suggestion ;) You'll also find that a lot of the wedding dresses of brides were made out of parachutes as well during the war. It was a big black market thing and people used to fight over the parachutes of downed German.

When i was in the himalayas, the communal basecamp tent was a silk 'chute with bamboo and reed woven walls. I wish i had better pictures of it to up!

Here is a pic of the chair shelter thingie, not anything as big as the main communal tent..

Here is a pic of the tent the wife and i stayed in for the duration. Not quite the same construction, but they made the roof tarp from the same stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE