I've been robbed :(

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
Someone has stolen my response pack with lots of stuff inside, im so gutted I just want to cry. It was in the boot of my car, I opened it to crab a very big box out and took it to my front door which was only a few step away from the car. Some druggy look bum cycled past on a bike and swiped it from the boot. I chased him up the road but it was to late he was way to fast. I called the police but they just said it wasn't serious enough to open a case.
It had my map and compass in the pack, my old flint and steel kit, an orange survival bag, a Mora bushcraft black, my swiss army knife and bits and bobs like a headlamp :( i can't believe it to be honest, who on earth does that, i meen they break the law but the law won't help me.
And I pay tax why????

Last edited by a moderator:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Probably to massage the crime rate figures. Surely the fact that the bag contained knives that can be used in crimes would warrant a bit more attention, sorry about the theft.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Please do keep an eye on ebay and gum tree for your stuff. I don't think they will have any use for this kind of kit nor they will be able to sell it locally. The only real option for anyone would be ebay. You wouldn't believe how many people get their bikes, cameras etc back just by spending 5 min every day scanning ebay. You can even save a search or two to your profile so you can have a quick look every day.
I would filter by "auctions only" and "distance from post code".
Stealing is the lowest form fo crime to me as I hope you get to watch him cry in the court.

Would you mind listing stolen items? Every one here goes on various forums and have a keen eye for this kind of stuff. You never know.

Last edited:

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Think i have an old response pack around here somewhere mate, if i can find it, you can have it.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That's just carp mate. Really annoying and upsetting. I know how I felt when my car was stolen last year, but I got that back.

I did the same thing with my car today, leaving camera equipment exposed, though only briefly. I did wonder at the wisdom of it even as I did it. Luckily my car was parked in a quiet cul-de-sac so no passing traffic of any sort.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
Go and look in bins, gardens and alleyways along the route you saw the guy taking. Thieves like that are hoping for high value small items like phones, iPods and cash, anything else will be dumped as soon as possible.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Go and look in bins, gardens and alleyways along the route you saw the guy taking. Thieves like that are hoping for high value small items like phones, iPods and cash, anything else will be dumped as soon as possible.

Exactly that - by the sound of the contents it's not much, if any, ready cash; that'll be dumped somewhere nearby, definitely worth a look and a card in a shop window, anything to let a finder know where's home.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
………and I'd really complain about that police 'not serious' thing. So, if a lady had her handbag stolen, it wouldn't be serious enough ?

As an aside, you might find your car insurance will cover replacements…..a Suunto compass is around £50, Swiss Army knives don't come cheap, the packs about twenty five….and it all adds up.
Good advice from other folks on finding bits from it though.

Hellish thing to happen; really sorry to hear about it. If you pm me your address I'll send you stuff for a fire kit, though I don't think there's a spare firesteel in it.

atb,
M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Did they give you a crime number? If not complain to your MP, the local highest police officer, areas crime commissioner, also complain to the opposition MP to the current incumbent, they will be looking for things to jump on at the mo.

I would guess your insurance would require a crime number in order to claim?

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Sorry for your situation, it would appear it's quite common though?

I have several sisters, one of their husbands left an expensive bike leaned against the house while he went inside to get something-2minutes tops! In that time a toe rag stole the bike-never recovered! The other sister religiously locks the house at night, one night she forgets. Gets burgled that night-things stolen, no one hurt- no one caught!

It seems frightening that there are so many horrible people seemingly in the right place at the right time that can and will take advantage of others who let their guard down for a moment?

I lost respect for the Police as a whole a while back, there are good Coppers but they are overshadowed by something sinister that seems to look after the criminals interests over the victims while picking on the easy targets who don't generally cause problems for them :(

Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
How did you try and report it? Who told you it wasn't serious enough?

You can put a basic report online, call 101 or go into your local station. If you say a crime has been committed the police have to put a report on, home office rules insist on this and it's tightened up a lot over the last year.

It'll be recorded as a "theft from motor vehicle" and if in London you'll get a cris (crime report) number. Is there any cctv in the area? How good a look did you get of the guy? Was there anything distinctive about them?

Unless any of the items have serial numbers or are uniquely marked then it's unlikely you'll get them back I'm afraid. Scanning gumtree/eBay etc is effective if something is directly traceable to you (push bikes with serial numbers etc), but even if you did find an item you are sure is yours without incontrovertible proof it's difficult if not impossible to claim ownership.

Sorry to hear this mate......gutting situation.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
As above, it's a theft from motor vehicle and if you inform the police it will be recorded on the crime reporting system.
101 or online is the easiest way.
Looking in the hedges and bins on route is a good idea, the suspect would have opened it and was probably disappointed that it didn't contain any instantly sellable items.
Although it was valuable to you it would be worthless to him, which makes it even more frustrating for you!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.........Unless any of the items have serial numbers or are uniquely marked then it's unlikely you'll get them back I'm afraid. Scanning gumtree/eBay etc is effective if something is directly traceable to you (push bikes with serial numbers etc), but even if you did find an item you are sure is yours without incontrovertible proof it's difficult if not impossible to claim ownership........

Plus 1 to this. It's a bit late now but in future you might consider etching your gear with marks that are unique and traceable to you (however be careful that said marks don't facilitate identity theft)

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Think i have an old response pack around here somewhere mate, if i can find it, you can have it.

That's what i love about this place.......what a great offer Kepis!

Sorry to hear that you've been robbed, I'm amazed that the police aren't interested, its almost giving the theives carte blanche to continue!

OurAmericanCousin

Tenderfoot
Feb 7, 2015
SoCalUSA
I wouldn't think, from the description you provided, that this numbskull was a tourist on holiday. Sounds like he's local to a three mile radius. Criminals are stupid. You'll see him again. Its very likely, as stated already, that most of your items were quickly discarded nearby after evading you.

You may not recover anything. At any rate, there is a way to feel good about this. Here, we play baseball. Baseball bats are of multiple use (very bushcrafty, no?), just like your cricket bats. Carry one of those cricket bats in your car for when you see this turd again. Make him wish he'd stolen shinguards and kneepads instead of your stuff. That's the cowboy way.

NicfromBristol

Apr 24, 2013
Bristol
In addition to looking around your neighbourhood, in case it was dumped, it's worth photocopying some posters and putting them up on lampposts. Use the eyes of your neighbours too! 99.9% of people are honest and friendly. It's a shame that the 0.1% happened to cycle past

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
If he was on a bike he probably was a local. Keep your eyes peeled he may come past again. How about baiting a trap with something tempting eg an box that once held an electronic goody replaced with junk, while you keep watch. A photo is all you need: he'll probabaly be known to the police. You'll get double satisfaction: nabbing the scrote and showing the police you had a case.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I fell Sorry for you. I hate when it happens. I've had most of my tools nicked from a garage once, and it still hurts occasionally when I remember a tool or homemade contraption that would come in handy for a certain situation had it not been stolen.

I agree about possibly the searching the classifieds. Like others before me, I advice you to have a peek in the bushy, out-of-sight places in your area. The kind where copper-thieves burn their loot. I've found loads of unwanted loot in places like that. You know, empty wallets, clothes, and the cheap electronics that's not worth fencing...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE