It's ZOIDER Time ;P

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
The kids n me collected easey 6 carrier bags full of various apples from around and abouts ere and set to making the zoider.

I started by sterilising my daughter's old ikea toy box which is a perfect size for a fermentation vat. It was going on freecycle but I rescued it for this purpose :D Then I washed the apples.

Ikea Toy Box
PICT0731.jpg

I stood for about 2 1/2 hrs feeding apples into out juicer. After about a ton of fruit pulp I ended up with about 20 pints of apple juice which was a somewhere between sweet to sharp but quite paletable which is probably a good sign. Our juicer is really good and the pulp is quite dry so hardly any juice was left. I may, in time invest in some time to make a carjack press.

The Juicing Set Up
PICT0728.jpg

As we had various varieties of apples including one red variety that had red flesh, hence the juice colour :cool:

Red Juice
PICT0730.jpg

In the Vat
PICT0732.jpg

Anyways, I thought I would share it with you guys.

Time will tell and I will let you know how it tastes:p

Cheers
Craeg

What brand is your juicer? I do a bit of homebrewing myself and was dabbling with the idea of getting a juicer. If yours managed to keep going for 2 1/2
hours it must be good!

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Oi does loiks a drop o zoider! Tha stuf looks gurt lush!

For those without juicing facilities, supermarket ownbrand/basics apple juice makes a very tasty brew. Just make sure there's no additives (concentrate is fine). Pectic enzyme might be desired as the Pasteurisation process activates the pectin in the juice and makes the cider cloudy.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
What brand is your juicer? I do a bit of homebrewing myself and was dabbling with the idea of getting a juicer. If yours managed to keep going for 2 1/2
hours it must be good!

It is a Breville with a dectent 0.75kW motor. It wasn't switched on solid for 2 1/2 hrs because I had to stop every 50 or so apples to empty the bag of pulp. Even so though, it performed really well. We got it in tesco when it was in a sale, £70 down to £30, if my memory serves me well :confused:

Cheers
Craeg

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes, I got a juicer today and there seems to be a lot of apples about.

I have my mango chutney jars for brew tubs....what do I do?

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
I have my mango chutney jars for brew tubs....what do I do?

I wouldn't stick the juice in glass dude as the fermentation process generates gas which could at the worst case, explode the bottle :yikes:. There are plenty of guides on tinternet for exactly how to make it properly.

I just started with everything sterilised, +80 C soapy water, then let nature take it's course. After about 2 weeks, hey presto you got yerself zoider.
Finally filter it through muslin into sterilied plastic coke bottles and enjoy :D

Have a go ;)

Cheers
Craeg

pete79

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
In a swamp
You'll defo succeed in making something. I have brewed mind-bending alcohol from many a different fruit, and all have produced alcohol.......taste has been something I have found a lot harder to achieve; mine have ranged from very nice to something akin to paint stripper (cheeky, with a fiery aftertaste). Get it sterile (as you have done). I also used to sterilise the mash using campden tablets. 24 hrs after sterilising the mash, add the yeast (the yeast also does well with a bit of citric acid in there so I would add the juice of 6 lemons for every 5 gallons). Sit it in an bucket, or ikea toybox, in a warm location and cover with clingfilm. It'll kick off in around 24hrs and start to bubble. Remove clingfilm and stir every day for 3 days, make sure to re-cover every time to limit the bacteria entering the mix. I would then siphon off the lovely beverage into a barrel with airlock and let it run it's course until the alcohol content had risen enough to kill the yeast (around a week to 2 weeks under airlock). It really gets going once under airlock. When it has stopped bubbling and releasing gas, siphon into bottles and let the sediment settle to the bottom, and then resiphon or pour to remove sediment (I didn't mind a bit of cloudiness in mine). Alcohol content varies according to the amount of sugar, and the type of yeast used (if you're letting it sit and collect wild yeasts from the air or surface of the fruit, then it could be anywhere from 3 to 6 %, I made some jailhouse hooch once......whilst not in jail.......using bread as my yeast starter, and that was really strong).
If you get the chance, and can harvest enough of the little blighters, I recommend that you try to make a bit of blackberry wine........very, very tasty.

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
Just been into the 'toy box' and was quite pleasantly surprised :) There is a definate zoidery taste to the liquid and the colour is a fantastic reddish. I got rid of the remaining floating mash and gave it a bit of a stir. I will put it into a demi-john today with an airlock then bring it into the house to see how it develops.

Craeg

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Great, looking good dude! I make my cider from cloudy apple juice from Tesco, so no pressing involved (not got the kit for that). Usually its well potent, last batch was 10%! Went a little mad with the sugar, see.Make homebrew red wine from grape juice too, that always works well. Next on the list to try is Tea wine....

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
Great, looking good dude! I make my cider from cloudy apple juice from Tesco, so no pressing involved (not got the kit for that). Usually its well potent, last batch was 10%! Went a little mad with the sugar, see.Make homebrew red wine from grape juice too, that always works well. Next on the list to try is Tea wine....

I like the sound of that :D !0% would know yer socks off :lmao: It is looking good my end for stives :camping: if you are up for it? Have any of the other cambs dudes said anything? or is it a bit too wee for a bigger group?

Cheers dude

Craeg

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
No one else as said anything! Its wee, but not that wee. limited on hammock spots where I go, but other places there too. hoping to have some new kit to play with...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE