More re=purposed flooring

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Late last summer I rescued some boards of American Black Walnut (ABW) that had been leftover from a job, by a client of mine. They were discarding a fair bit of surplus flooring via a blooming great bonfire :eek:
All of it was tongued and grooved and of various lengths which I initially thought might be useful in making some jigs or workshop fittings, so it got set aside until I got a reminder that I had promised to make a couple of small tables for "her indoors". :D
A few years ago I made a chessboard from scraps of ABW and Maple and had wanted to make a table to support it but time and materials to hand had stalled the project...so I came up with this solution last week.

Chess%20Table%20and%20sides%201_zpsin8ho05h.jpg

A table with a drawer for the chess board and two side tables that can be used as game piece placing and refreshments/side tables for the sofa.
I turned two Maple Pawns to act as drawer pulls.

Chess%20Table%20and%20sides%204_zpsiz0o8dhj.jpg

The side tables also nest under the chess board apron.
After sawing both the tongue and grooved sides off the boards I was left with 93mm so the aprons are 90mm and the legs are each cut from one board width: I.E. I cut the legs slightly over length then ripped that piece in half before re-sawing them with a 45° bevel with circular saw in table mode which gave a clean enough cut to glue them to form legs using masking tape to clamp them.
Legs were joined to the aprons with two 6x30 Festool dominoes at each joint.

Chess%20Table%20and%20sides%202_zpsrshr6w68.jpg

Drawer box was from some 10mm thick Wenge and jointed with 4mm Festool Dominoes with a 6mm ABW bottom (ripped from the 16mm stock I was left with after planing the grooves and name stamp out of the flooring boards underside.

Chess%20Table%20and%20sides%207_zpsgutlqpfh.jpg

Chess pieces are from a UK company and seem to fit in well. The rail under the drawer is cut from the same piece as the drawer face so that the grain lines up pretty well. I used Liberon Finishing Oil on this project and expect the tables and chess board base to mellow over time to match the ABW of the older chess board.
I hate to see good timber wasted and think this is a good use of rescued materials.
Hope you like it and thanks for looking in.
Rob.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Wow, stunning. Looking back on life, woodworking is something I wish I had gone into at a younger age in a more job related role.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Aye nice work that.. don't mind a game a chess. :)

If i was using them tables as seats.. i'd need a couple of cushion's on them... keep me owld farmer giles happy. :lmao:

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Very very awesome, here was me sitting chuffed to bits about a project i just done with scrap wood and stuff i had kicking about the mancave, mine is just fun that turned serious,your project is nothing short of stunning mate that is amazing, my project with scrap wood was a re-curve bow and arrow set for my 5 year old niece, but as usual i took my fun far too seriously and accidentally made a lethal weapon, at 7 meters range i can put an arrow through 5 sheets of corrugated card with 2 pairs of old denim sandwiched between them and after going through all that still dented my brass letterbox flap, i will load the video i made soon.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Wow ! Top job !

Wow, stunning. Looking back on life, woodworking is something I wish I had gone into at a younger age in a more job related role.

The skills of some people on this forum never cease to amaze me! :cool:

Lovely work.

Ta guys, but please keep in mind I am a carpenter and joiner by trade, my main reason for posting is how we can make nice stuff from thinking out of the throw away box.

Top job

They were burning that stuff? Some people . . .

They just don't have the space to store all the leftovers or discontinued lines.

wow very nice! I like the chess table that's braw

The same thoughts I have when you post your leather projects, they inspired me to make my first mask for a hatchet.

Stunning work! I'd be proud to have made something only a tenth as good as that.

It takes practice and some prior thinking through and I am sure you could make something as nice or better given the chance.

Hi Rob (tracked you down at last!),

That's some lovely carpentry, fella. It's amazing what people throw away.

Ta mate, hate binning good materials.

Aye nice work that.. don't mind a game a chess. :)

If i was using them tables as seats.. i'd need a couple of cushion's on them... keep me owld farmer giles happy. :lmao:

If those tables were seats they'd be stools...too close for comfort for farmer giles:lmao:.

Aye Up,

Excellent work .

I'd have to use it for draughts tho!:)

Funny enough my Suzy said she started off playing draughts with her dad and often beats me at chess!;)

Very very awesome, here was me sitting chuffed to bits about a project i just done with scrap wood and stuff i had kicking about the mancave, mine is just fun that turned serious,your project is nothing short of stunning mate that is amazing, my project with scrap wood was a re-curve bow and arrow set for my 5 year old niece, but as usual i took my fun far too seriously and accidentally made a lethal weapon, at 7 meters range i can put an arrow through 5 sheets of corrugated card with 2 pairs of old denim sandwiched between them and after going through all that still dented my brass letterbox flap, i will load the video i made soon.

A bow is on my list to do but I feel I need to learn more about that craft before having a go, maybe you need to keep that one back until your niece is 18? :D

That some lovely heirloom furniture.

Thank you.
Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated. Now get out there and rescue some discards for any little project that inspires you. :)

Rob.

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
The bow is my new favourite toy, all started when i found 3 meter long 3cm wide strip of flat bamboo in the public refuse area of my tower block, i picked it up and it had the right bit of flex and i joked to myself at first about maybe laminating it onto itself a few times and then shaping with a spokeshave but then realised it would be great for just the limbs to attach to a stock handle shape, so i knocked up a scrap wood stock i imagined after looking at pictures online and attached 2 x 35 cm long bamboo limbs, then i used a bit of bungee style tarp cordage for bow string and swiftly put an arrow straight into and half through one of the doors in my flat 5 meters away right through a makeshift target board i didn't even think it would go through.

Seriously here i know sod all about making bows but i am really good at just having a go for fun so with your carpentry skills you'd have no trouble, i always just start messing about for fun then before i know it the tongue is sticking out and i have a glazed look on my face and i don't even know it, i dread to see what the makeshift crossbow is gonna be like that i have a go of next, i like to work just from looking at a few pictures of something and then spend a week or twenty imagining it telling myself i could probably make that, then i wind myself up so much i have to find out, i'm sure I could easily follow instructions no bother but where is the real fun and learning in that, sorry am rambling am so happy with my daft new toy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE