"It's The Charcloth, Stupid" - Adventures with my Flint & Steel Striker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The weekend was winding down and softball games and skateboarders were beginning to vacate the park behind the house. Spring read a book while I puttered around the kitchen. Done with tidying, I decided to step out into the backyard and experiment with my new Flint & Steel Striker.

I donned my new straw hat, camera in hand and removed the steel striker, flint and charcloth from the tin can holder.

I peeled off a bit of charcloth and held it to the flint and then spent a frustrating, somewhat painful and cramping 15 minutes thwacking and hitting the damn steel against it.

I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I was getting sparks. Sure, the flint was getting a bit dull in some sections, and that was affecting the result I wanted, but sparks kept flying.

Sure, I eventually got the charcloth smoldering, and it only took a moment to blow it into flames with some wood shavings from the shed.

But 15 minutes is too long when you need to get a fire going. And it was in calm, windless weather - all conditions optimal. I was warm and hydrated and my fingers were uncut and undamaged from canoeing and bushwhacking. I was in the backyard after a grueling day of sitting around. And then a thought occurred to me. I grabbed my keys, ran through the house muttering to Spring that I was just getting something from the car. I had put the charcloth that I made myself last week into a tinder kit in my knapsack that was sitting in my trunk.

I opened the zip lock bag, tore a strip off of the roll and compared it to the sample that came with my kit. Mine is the one on the left in the image above, and the one that came with the kit is on the right. Two differences jumped out to me. Mine was evenly carbonized, unlike the somewhat unburnt sections in the other - but more importantly (I think), mine was very thin, with fine charcloth fibers surrounded by air.

Feeling quite confident (as confident as one can feel in such circumstances, sitting in the backyard with a beer), I doubled over a strip of my charcloth on the upper edge of the flint, struck down with the steel and instantly my charcloth caught a spark.

Without any help, the embers grew and I could feel the heat coming off the strip.

Time after time, I put a new piece of charcloth on the flint, and time after time I got the charcloth glowing hot. To paraphrase James Carville - "It's the charcloth, stupid."

Pleased with the results, I sat back and watched the sun begin to go down. A woodpecker arrived to nibble on the suet hanging from the bird feeder.

A grackle (I think) dropped by to sample the dropped bird seed.

I examined the lawn that I had intended to mow, and decided to mow it tomorrow.

I pondered the shed and wondered how I was going to get a ramp set up to the door.

And since it was Sunday evening, I relaxed.

And Monty and I just sat, and Spring read her book and relaxed.

Cheers,

Mungo

Galemys

Settler
Dec 13, 2004
Zaandam, the Netherlands
Thank´s for sharing that Mungo. Your bird is a brownheaded cowbird, a brood parasite, laying it´s eggs in other species nests like the cuckoo does here in Europe.

Cheers,

Tom

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
The best charcloth I've ever made was from an old facecloth that had gotten too rough to use, the fluffy loops of the material catch sparks like no ones business.

Looking at the kit charcloth you have there... "it's not charcloth as we know it Jim"(to paraphrase Star Trek ;))
Having it slightly black around the edges and browned/normal colour in the middle is not charcloth, it hasn't been cooked for long enough, it doesn't look fragile enough either and I'm impressed that you got an ember from it to be honest, 30 points for perseverance :). Your sparks must've charred just enough of the cloth to get one to catch.

On another note, your photos are very good, I'm loving the various angles, unusual but they work :D

LazySod

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 18, 2007
Oldham
Hi,
Now, firstly let me state that i have absolutely no experience with charcloth.

What i am wondering is ...

The 'Good' charcloth looks remarkably like the open weave you find in a finger bandage, Has anyone 'Charred' (for want of a better word) a bandage? Do you end up with a nice neat roll of charcloth?

Can see first aid kits being raided all over the country, don't blame me, it's only an idea.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
You;d have to choose your bandage carefully, making sure it's 100% pure cotton or linen as most bandages today have some form of polymer elastic in them and if you tried to char it, it would simply melt and leave a yucky sticky mess :(

Thanks BOD! IrishLostBoy - I haven't seen cotton shopping bags here in Canada. Hmm. Galemys - brilliant, I hadn't heard of a brownheaded cowbird, but I was aware of how the cuckoo usurps the nest or at least part of the nest of other birds. Cheeky things. Cobweb - thanks for the 30 points - that makes up for some of the sweat and frustration! I use a little point and shoot camera and love to play with composition - thanks! To make my charcloth, I simply used a flat (non-terry-cloth) cotton teatowel.
Basically, I cut narrow strips from it and rolled it all up for the tin.
0+%2823%29.JPG

Cheers,

Mungo

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I have a batch of char cloth I made out of old cotton sacking material sort of like a close weave burlap. It takes a spark easily. I'm getting ready to make more but I'm wearing the jeans I plan to rip up. I have to wait for laundry day. Mac

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Great little thread,

I use cotton polishing cloth from Halfords for my Char cloth and it has been 100% reliable and is really cheap!

Stewey.:D

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
If your flint gets blunted use the steel to knap an edge back to sharpness!
It realy is easier to do than say - just wang the rock so that the edge breaks of to give a sharp fracture edge!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE