It's not a spoon!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I was helping clear loads of birch scrub from a public common recently and saw the perfect piece for me to cut and scrape away at. I was after a small diameter trunk with a good side branch, and after a few hours in the garage this is how it has come out:

OH75wxkl.jpg

LfZvYdml.jpg

9g7vH02l.jpg

vHFEZaJl.jpg

As usual when I begin a project, I had no fixed idea of how I wanted the proportions and final finish to turn out but I think it's my best piece so far. I think of it as a soup ladle and there are so many facets of it to look at, from the shape of the bowl to the way the grain is shown that I already find myself just picking it up to examine.
Comments from the woodcarving demons welcome.

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks folks, I really like it.

It is amazing that a common or garden piece of birch can come up like that. The one concsious decision I did make was not to remove all the inner bark from the bowl, hence the demarcation between it and the stem.

Good point about the egg and spoon race: I should make some more and sell them to competitive kids!

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Thanks Elen.

I think that to work properly as a "priest" it would need some lead in the bowl; birch isn't that dense.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE