It's a beautiful night out there :-)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just been out for a short wander, and it's beautiful out there :D
It's a cold (-3.7 degC here), crisp, clear night, and the moon and stars are sharp like good steel.

It would be a cracker of a night for a fire and a hammock :D

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The moon is really bright here too - not a cloud in the sky - lovely. I noticed today that a hard frost had started to kill off the Oca - so I'll be harvesting our last crop in a couple of weeks :)

The stove is lit so I have the fire :D

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Its a little hazy here. Shame.

Comet Ison may be visible in the hour before dawn to the south east, low on the horizon, should you be up at that time guys :) its only small atm but the tail should be visible through bino's/ telescope. It will become much more visible between now and February though, providing it doesnt burn up by getting too close to the sun :)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Our plants are going weird... buds bursting on our Gojis. Nasturtiums, clematis and sage in full flower... rasps flowering again.... leaves still green and full on the apples, peach and kiwis... few other abnormalities too..... anything weird like that going on with you guys?

The moon is really bright here too - not a cloud in the sky - lovely. I noticed today that a hard frost had started to kill off the Oca - so I'll be harvesting our last crop in a couple of weeks :)

The stove is lit so I have the fire :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Apple leaves are still on but cherries have fallen - still got geraniums in flower but we are getting ground frosts so things will normalise soon I think

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
We don't have cherries so can't compare. Its almost seems like autumn started earlyish, then stopped. The trees, (sycamore mainly) are only just starting to show signs of autumn. Everything was done by early october last year... its just strange how things seem to be having another go at it atm :)

Apple leaves are still on but cherries have fallen - still got geraniums in flower but we are getting ground frosts so things will normalise soon I think

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nothing weird here; just a slow start into Winter, with lots of fruits hanging on and ripening instead of being the also rans.
I had fresh raspberries this morning :) but I'm pretty sure the frost tonight will make them the last I'll get this year.

Even if it's clear I'll not see that comet from here. Maybe in the new year though ?

atb,
M

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Same here! Although everything is bare. Not a leafe to be found, but the lakes are starting to ice over.
We should've had a virtual get-to-gether!:D

feralpig

Forager
Aug 6, 2013
Mid Wales
Our plants are going weird... buds bursting on our Gojis. Nasturtiums, clematis and sage in full flower... rasps flowering again.... leaves still green and full on the apples, peach and kiwis... few other abnormalities too..... anything weird like that going on with you guys?

Yeah, it's odd. I work in gardens. The grass is still growing although quite slowly. The Dead Nettle is in flower, and in one garden, they have a few Primroses flowering.
Very little has died back yet, it's all green still.
Good for me, means I will have more work in Jan/Feb.
We've had our first frost now, and a few more forecast for the next few days, so that should stop the strangeness.
A strange, but good Autumn, we could have had a few weeks of proper winter by now.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Same here today.... lots of aircraft as dusk set in, no chemtrails... its quite a nice sight to see standard contrails on 7 different aircraft simultaneously :)

Been a few evenings like that lately. Not so bad i guess with winter setting in.... not as much call to cool the planet down.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I used a freebie leaf blower today. Brilliant bit of kit - sucked up all the leaves on a gravel drive without sucking up the stones - genius! Got it for beekeeping - but its a handy bit of kit!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I gave one away a couple of years ago.....cleaning up the garden yesterday I started to wonder if it really was a heavy a brute as I remembered :rolleyes:

Took me ages to clear up....we have a new, hover, lawnmower :( the mess was unbelievable.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The one I got (well, weirdly I got two - don't ask) isn't heavy till it fills up - it is with a sack full of leaves on it though. It came with a cheapo shoulder sling that is rubbish, but hung from a proper harness for the brush cutter its okay. Until BB decided to trim the lavender hedge - with the Husqy petrol brush cutter :yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes:

Okay - she was clever - it worked an absolute treat - really level and neat and took about five minutes.

I confess I couldn't watch. Its funny because she got the idea from my nurseryman mate who prunes beautiful and very expensive rare tea roses with a petrol lawnmower:Wow:. This also works madly well :)

I had to go and plant some pignuts to ensure they get frozen as they are a stratifying seed - planted some sugar maple seeds too - no good reason - I have never seen a sugar maple though so thought I would give them a go (they also need to freeze before germination)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I watched in appalled horror as my then late 80's aged Uncle attacked my lavender with the garden shears until it was only about four inches high. It bloomed absolutely brilliantly the next year :D
Maybe BB's onto something :cool:

You don't know about sowing and germinating lingon berries, do you ? I've scattered a handful in amongst some gravel on top of a pot, but it'd be nice to know if there's any hope of any of them sprouting.

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Just the common stuff - they need to stratify (freeze) and need acid (ph 5.0) sandy soil. I know people say on the soil surface but I give a light cover of sandy soil.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We're on heavy clay.....acidic though, lot of leaf litter and worm worked soil in the top layers.
I'll throw some sand on top of them and hope the gravel's a decent base for germination. They'll certainly get stratified this Winter :)

cheers,
M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They do like a light sandy soil with good organic matter so who knows how they will do on clay? I can't keep em alive - but that's to do with alkaline soil so I have stopped trying

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Even keeping them in pots wouldn't keep the soil 'light'; the worms really do work our soil, and the clay ends up through everything, eventually.
I've never had a garden that was alkaline.....that would be very different :)

cheers,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE