Itchy Swanndri

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Can anyone tell me whether it is a case of toughening up to the inevitable itch of the woolshirt? Otherwise it seems to me that they will never be a goer except as an over shirt. ideas, comments?

Stephen

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Thats it in a nutshell Stephen,
It is the irritation/itching that brings your blood to the skin surface and keeps you feeling warm, and the insulating properties that stop the colder outside air from leeching heat from your skin surface - I'm sure that given the wrong combination, or in the wrong environment, these would soon lead to hypothermia.
The shirt should become less itchy with use but it'll never be cotton smooth - even if you wear it as an overshirt, you'll still benefit from its insulative, fire resistant and shower resistant properties.

ATB

Ogri the trog

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
Thats it in a nutshell Stephen,
It is the irritation/itching that brings your blood to the skin surface and keeps you feeling warm, and the insulating properties that stop the colder outside air from leeching heat from your skin surface - I'm sure that given the wrong combination, or in the wrong environment, these would soon lead to hypothermia.
Ogri the trog

Indeed! That was my first thought, like drinking vodka, feels warm but...I have two and I love them, I usually wear them over a nordic army shirt (perfect) but am trying them over a T shirt just to see if the itch goes and it is still too warm for the full combo.

Ta

Stephen
West Wales

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Toughen up you big Jessies! If you can't cope with wool against the skin, how the hell are you gonna cope with bushcraft issue undies made from plaited bramble branches with the thorns still on, lined with fresh nettle leaves for comfort?

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
didn't know they were itchy, hadn't really thought of that. don't have one and wasn't particularly planning on getting one but if i saw one cheap i would have considered it, now i know!

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Mines been god knows where. All the wear and wet weather its been though + a couple of washes its softened up. They do come very itchy. My dad used to call it my 'badgers ar** coat. Had it for about a year now and I can wear it with a t-shirt.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE