It Looks Like A Good Year For Sloes !

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
We have a lot of Blackthorn hedges around us and they are currently in 'full flower'
Its looking like it'll be another good year for the Sloes and the resulting Sloe-Gin.

This is one of the half-mile long hedges I was walking past yesterday.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
We have masses of blossom around here too - I just hope that it all sets!
Not many insects about at the moment ... the recent snow kept them hiding...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The hedgerows are like snow drifts here with the blossom, ornamental cherries too. A good year for Prunus spp. as long as we don’t get a cold blast or ‘strong wind’ (I’ll have a word with the snoozing Jack Russell next to me about that :yuck:). May trees are next, lovely but slightly sickly scent everywhere. I love this time of year.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Same here, loads of blossom, I'm not sure we'll get many sloes this year though, we had loads last year and they tend to be big crops every two years...

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have Sloes in abundance currently - and I know the advice is to only pick post the First Frost but what do people really do?

Do you all pick them and sling them in the Freezer?

Must be an optimal period for picking them.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
We pick them, and chuck them in the freezer! (i have previously individually pricked them in order to release the flavour, and would heartily recomend that no-one else follows that route!)

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
We pick them, and chuck them in the freezer! (i have previously individually pricked them in order to release the flavour, and would heartily recomend that no-one else follows that route!)

I think I have a Derma Micro Roller somewhere ( 1 " roller - really small fine needles ) so may actually give that a go. Cheers.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I think I have a Derma Micro Roller somewhere ( 1 " roller - really small fine needles ) so may actually give that a go. Cheers.

My dad made up pieces of ply with loads of tacks tapped through. We’d put a layer of sloes on, press them down, and scoop them into the bottle.

I reckon a staple gun would make an easier job of it, but it was effective.

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE