It is that time of the year again

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Geese are migrating, both Anser and Branta seen in various size flocks. Going West-Southwest mostly, which is slightly unusual, most years they go more South here.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Interesting. We had around Berlin the first frost tonight, two or three weeks too early.

I guess someone called them and they changed the route.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Funny you should start this thread; we don't really see geese in V's flying over us here, occasionally swans though, but yesterday I realised that it was an arrow of geese that I was seeing, and they were flying south west, which is very much away from their usual 'parking spot' down near the local wetlands/loch/laighlands area.

It's colder here, but not 'cold', if I make myself clear ? The days are really shortening though :sigh:
Lovely day here today :) I'm going to go and empty compost bins, get them sorted out for Winter.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Yep, definitely a day for being out working! :)

No frosts here yet, still 8 or 10C at night so far. We are getting some of the summer visiting birds travelling through though. Our own visitors moved off a couple of weeks ago - flycatchers, warblers, and swallows, but we're seeing a few start to travel through.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Back to normal, at least all the Branta are flying direction about 200deg, which would be as usual. The few grey geese flocks were still flying more westerly direction. Who knows.

billycoen

Settler
Jan 26, 2021
north wales
We were at Naburn Lock(York),and saw about 30-40 geese in four "v" formations heading along the river,mind,this was two weeks ago,so maybe too early for migration,but still a majestic sight.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The Canada geese are beginning to flock up here at 53N. It's been freezing up top, tightening up, so the Fraser and tribs are dropping low. Most deciduous trees are showing hits of color, a few are bright but mostly drab yellows.

My grapes have colored up. Still as sour as pickles. Cold nights for the next 2 weeks ought to fix that. How it works exactly, I have no idea.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
The Canada geese are beginning to flock up here at 53N. It's been freezing up top, tightening up, so the Fraser and tribs are dropping low. Most deciduous trees are showing hits of color, a few are bright but mostly drab yellows.

My grapes have colored up. Still as sour as pickles. Cold nights for the next 2 weeks ought to fix that. How it works exactly, I have no idea.
Bletting I think its called? Somehow turns the acids into sugars via freezing.

I was in Norway last week, they have a berry called dwarf cornel aka bunchberry (I think you might have them?) And most sources stated they were bitter in taste- these were juicy and sweet, much like a pear, not a hint of bitterness, and they had been through a frost.

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Just to be clear it is Cornus suecica I am referring to- I found multiple sources that said it is edible, but not harvested very much. The best ones I found were on plants where the leaves had gone a lovely red colour-

20220917_114934.jpg20220917_115128.jpg20220917_114925.jpg

Reactions: TLM

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
Got that far, as far as I know it is not utilised here at all. Try Cornus mas that certainly is edible.
Nice- I did come across that whilst searching for dwarf cornel, interesting plant, I've never seen one in the UK. Unfortunately I'm back from Norway now :( it's a bit depressing to be honest. Awesome place.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Billy-O: You need to be under the mass flyways when the Canada's really get moving. Tens of thousands, the sky is black for days. Find Kindersley, SK on a map. My uncle was a very well-to-do goose guide for decades (10 ga Ithaca.)

There may be 12,000 birds in a single flock of Snow Geese. Some daily bag limits ask that you stop at 50 geese per day.

Their damage in the wintering grounds of South America is a really serious issue in agriculture. You can go on a shoot, your first 1,500 shots are free then you have to start paying for ammo. Feeds the villages.
= = = =
One morning, 3 shots with my Benelli Nova 3.5" x 12 ga dropped 2 x 7 or 8 kg Canadas. The thirds shot, I had not shouldered the gun properly and the recoil sort of took a bite out of me.

That night, getting ready for bed, I glanced at myself in the mirror. Through my insulated Camo coat, through 2 layers of sweaters and through my waffle-weave underwear, I had a bruise near my shoulder, the exact same weave pattern as the underwear. 10 shots per day with that cannon was about all I could withstand.

The bears will go down in November, I forget who goes first. The Geese and Cranes will be long gone by mid December with maybe a foot of snow on the ground.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE