Islay

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I've got seven days on Islay with several days on Kintyre either side now :)

So, other than the Whisky distilleries (which I am more than familiar with :) ), does anyone have inside knowledge of:

a) the most likely location to spot and photograph otters
b) shore fishing locations (beach, pier, rock)

I've been to Islay before but a long time ago.

Brynglas

I've got seven days on Islay with several days on Kintyre either side now :)

So, other than the Whisky distilleries (which I am more than familiar with :) ), does anyone have inside knowledge of:

a) the most likely location to spot and photograph otters
b) shore fishing locations (beach, pier, rock)

I've been to Islay before but a long time ago.

Hi Broch,

Islay is a regular haunt for me. Do you know where you're likely to be staying?

For otters and fishing, take your pick really. There are some lovely quiet spots up near Bunnahabhainn, there's a distillery up there as well. I've seen otters, seals, Eagles and Minke whales off the coast up there.

At the other end of the Island, out past Ardbeg (another distillery, very nice café!) Along the coast towards Ardmore is a rocky broken coastline where I've seen otters on several occasions.

For beaches, there are too many to count! The Big Strand, accessed from near the airport along a very broken up old runway is quite special, five or so miles long of clear sandy beach. Ardnave point is a lovely headland you can walk right around, plenty of fishing to do. If you can get to near the mouth of the Laggan River, conscious not to stray into the estate fishing stretches, I've caught sea trout and salmon down there as well as sea bass.

If the weather is bad, Ballygrant and Bridgend woods and Islay House gardens are good for a walk.

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Paulm

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi Broch,

Islay is a regular haunt for me. Do you know where you're likely to be staying?

…..

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Brynglas, all very useful information. I'm cheating for this break and staying in a cottage near Port Charlotte. I camped last time I was here and found some lovely spots but we're 'camped out' this year (if you can believe that) so taking a more leisurely break :)

Reactions: Brynglas

Brynglas

Thanks for that Brynglas, all very useful information. I'm cheating for this break and staying in a cottage near Port Charlotte. I camped last time I was here and found some lovely spots but we're 'camped out' this year (if you can believe that) so taking a more leisurely break :)
You've got great access to some lovely fishing just around Port Charlotte, and Kilchoman beach. If you're a seafood fan, the Lochindaal Hotel (a pub really) do a spectacular seafood platter with 24hrs notice.

Reactions: Paulm

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
OK, home now and I think I can claim that trip was 100% success :)

- Caught Pollack spinning of the rocks at Port Charlotte lighthouse
- Photographed otters north of Bunnahabhain
- Had some great food (including the seafood platter at the Lochindaal Hotel recommended by Brynglas)
- Tasted and bought some great whiskys

Here are a few (heavily reduced and compressed) photos:

_2018_10_05_0555-1024-25.jpg
Port Charlotte

_2018_10_02_0222 - 1024 - 25.jpg
Jura

_2018_10_05_0461-1024-25.jpg
Otter that's been in a fight!

_2018_10_04_0352-1024-25.jpg
One of about twenty seals

_2018_10_02_0331-1024-25.jpg
Red Deer on Jura

_2018_10_05_0409-1024-25.jpg
Stonechat

_2018_10_06_0580-1024-25.jpg
The Landy on the Beach!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE