Is Yew any good for axe handles?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I have a few hatchets from car boot sales i'm going to re-handle. I have a stack of part seasoned yew and was wondering if it would work as an axe handle?. I know ash is the prefered choice, but i figure with yew having similar properties then it might work too?

Anyone ever used it?

Thanks.:)

Last edited:

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I tried it once following the same reasoning, my handle broke after not too much use. I also fancied the idea that yew being very durable an axe handled with yew could live happily outside by the logpile say without rotting. It is only one instance and trees vary a lot so I would be happy to try more, it was very beautiful.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Did you use the heartwood Robin? Or a combination of heartwood and sapwood? Also how did you align the grain?

It is a beautiful wood, which is why i want to try some. I've been thinking about why it wasn't popular as tool handles, and figured it was either too brittle, which i doubted to be true, or it was too expensive/ slow growing/ reserved for better things,to be used as common tool handles. I expect its the latter, but from what you say i could well be wrong. :)

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
mine was mostly heart with a little sap aligned as per bow with sap facing toward the edge. It snapped clean across below the head, it was on a very large heavy Swedish broad axe.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thanks Robin, i'm using it on small hatchets with an average head weight of 600g.

I expect aligning the grain from edge to poll with give a stronger configuration. i'll give it a go and will post the results.

Aug 13, 2011
Errr..... The List says what it can be successfully used for....

However see If I care if after I have posted the list people waste their time or get injured.....

Strewth..... Come on now......:)

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Let us know how you get on with the yew Bill.

I would have thought it might be a bit springy for axe handles but you never know.

Fruit woods make good handles.

Andy

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
At the thickness it will be i cant see it being any springier than Ash. The heartwood resists compression, which suggests that the wood will naturally resist being bent backwards on impact. But we shall see :)

Let us know how you get on with the yew Bill.

I would have thought it might be a bit springy for axe handles but you never know.

Fruit woods make good handles.

Andy

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Clearly the authoritative definitive list and we should all look no further:)

Oetzi's axe handle was yew and I expect he knew more about timbers and their uses than anyone alive today.

Clearly the authoritative definitive list and we should all look no further:)

Thank you.......:)

Your post don't come over very friendly or helpful either........:)

In what way, my post says "that list doesn't say it isnt:confused:" note the smiley! your being a goon, also clipping robins post for your own ends is wrong and bad skills,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE