Is Truffle hunting possible in Scotland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Also everyone knows haggis, or Haggi for plural (say;cacti, haggi) have one set of shorter legs. The trick is to chase them around a hill with the short legs down hill so they roll away. Making it easy for capture. ...��

Haggis? Only palatable after the second bottle of whisky? Similar as the Scottish females?
:)

( I love Haggis. Swedish style with pickled ghurkin and red beets. )

Last edited:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Polecatsteve , the one you took a very brave bite out of 😄 (#9) is a Amanita Muscaria , or fly agaric and it has strong hallucinogenic properties... Not for the faint hearted and very rarely fatal but most certainly "poisonous".
#2 looks like it could be the same type.

#5 looks like the delicious chanterelle , but can't be sure without closer inspection...

#10 looks like fomes fomentarius , or horse hoof fungus also known as tinder fungus ... Excellent tinder and the pale brown leathery flesh correctly prepared is commonly known as Amadou ...

The rest of them I just can't tell for sure ... But looks great !👍

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
Polecatsteve , the one you took a very brave bite out of 😄 (#9) is a Amanita Muscaria , or fly agaric and it has strong hallucinogenic properties... Not for the faint hearted and very rarely fatal but most certainly "poisonous".
#2 looks like it could be the same type.

That explains why I was chased from the forest by a purple yeti riding a quad bike made of muffins. Crazy ******* nearly ran me over.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
I think I am the only person that think Truffles smell and taste vile?

Give me a basket of Ceps anyday!
No, you can count me in as well. I've never understood the fuss about truffles. They are like a butt ugly painting that everybody "loves" just to avoid being marked as uncultual ignorants ;)

ayrshireman

Apr 22, 2021
Ayrshire
I stumbled across this old post because I found one in the Galloway forest

MFz3sog.jpg

eUzahnk.jpg

Reactions: Toddy

ayrshireman

Apr 22, 2021
Ayrshire
Wow, great find. Did you have assistance? ie hound or piggy? or have you just got a fab tuned in sense of smell?
Just pure dumb luck!

I realise now when looking at the picture that there might even be the start of a new one, or a part that had already broken off, to the left of it on the underside of the root.

That has got to be the best 'intro' post I have ever seen :)

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE