Is this suitable for knife making

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
I want a tool be able to profile a blade put the bevel on and make the handle with. Will something like this be good enough for the job?

yvuze6u6.jpg

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
if its all you've got then it will do :) Generally speaking the more power the better when it comes to grinders ;) You will be better off looking for a belt sander/linisher that doesn't have a bench grinder on the other end. The bench grinder won't get used much and these combination machines tend to be much lower powered than a beltsander of the same price

The first dozen knives I made (this is before the current obsession with easy scandi grinds) were done with only files and hacksaws, the only power tool I had was a cheapy drill press.

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
if its all you've got then it will do :) Generally speaking the more power the better when it comes to grinders ;) You will be better off looking for a belt sander/linisher that doesn't have a bench grinder on the other end. The bench grinder won't get used much and these combination machines tend to be much lower powered than a beltsander of the same price

The first dozen knives I made (this is before the current obsession with easy scandi grinds) were done with only files and hacksaws, the only power tool I had was a cheapy drill press.

That's very helpful am I able to do the profiling of a knife with a belt sander?

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
IMHO, buy better. I had one. Great little item. Until you press it hard. Then it's not got the staying power. Used mine a few times ok, then it just burned out.
If you use it in short bursts it should be ok, but its only a hobby item.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
unfortunately you won't get a 'proper' belt grinder for less than about £400 unless you build it yourself from scrap. The best you are likely to get is something like this I've made an awful lot of knives using that little machine (I was a full time maker for about 6 years before I got anythign bigger). The lack of power means you have to let off your pressure when grinding, the tracking is all over the shop so you will need to clean plunge cuts with a file and the belts won't last all that long, but they do work ;)

smokyjoe

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2012
london
unfortunately you won't get a 'proper' belt grinder for less than about £400 unless you build it yourself from scrap. The best you are likely to get is something like this I've made an awful lot of knives using that little machine (I was a full time maker for about 6 years before I got anythign bigger). The lack of power means you have to let off your pressure when grinding, the tracking is all over the shop so you will need to clean plunge cuts with a file and the belts won't last all that long, but they do work ;)

Thank you Dave that is very helpful, I may just get me one of these to begin with, and if all goes well get something a little better.
Thank you for your help

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
if you can, get a small angle grinder too. You can use that to cut and rough grind the profile (and bevels once you get good) before using the belt grinder, it is MUCH quicker that way as well as being cheaper on consumables ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE