Is this evidence of a big cat ??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mimozine

Jan 26, 2021
north yorkshire
lol as pets, if i found anyone shooting them there would be trouble.

they were taken off the dwa list a while back and suddenly you saw loads as pets, and when they are young they are no trouble, when they are older its a whole different story, very destructive and very, very clever. then suddenly you hardly ever saw anyone with one, many escaped as did a fair few skunks. when the wife used to call up the insurance company after that first year they kept saying to her "oh you want to cancel your policy".
i recon there are far more in the wild over here than they realise.

we had the tamest raccoon in the country until he got very ill and unfortunately didnt make it xmas before last.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I didn't know about them being imported as pets. Not welcome news. There are so many cases where imported and escaped non-native animals have created ecological problems that I can't help but take a dim view of keeping them as pets.

When I lived in New York we had more racoons around than you could shake a stick at. Baylisascaris procyonis was a concern and a number of areas I once played in as a child were put off limits after becoming racoon latrines. They got into the garbage and spread it into surrounding shrubs and woods. They were destructive in the garden and that they could carry rabies just put a cherry on top.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
Exotic animals are introduced by many means around the world. If exotic pets released, they can explode like the giant constrictors in our Everglades or the escaped TIGER from an illegal collection where I live. The individuals have it rough; no parental guidance as a juvenile and they behave so.
Mammalian Mating is unlikely because of numbers.
As urban sprawl pushes into wild areas animals adapt or die out. This is the prime reason we are experiencing new diseases like COVID that wipe out more individuals than the biggest Bengal Tiger.
Racoons, possums, skunks, black bears, mountain lions, coyotes were here before the first palm tree planted on Rodeo Drive.
I used to see deer feeding right off my freeway offramp in the morning and one foggy morning found my car surrounded by at least 100 California Quail. Buzzards sailed overhead every day and the occasional rattlesnake or Kingsnake would be found on my stairwell.
NO MORE, They literally levelled the hillside and backfilled a small valley ( Bible refernce?) and plunked down 8 mini mansions replete with wrought iron security fences to keep out apartment
dwelling and wild riffraff.
I worry about exotics. I still think encountering a Lion ( and have) part of the game and keeps me aware. Last time I was armed with a SAK, faced it with arms raised to appear bigger and growled 'here kitty,kity,kitty. It took off. If one should chew on a trophy wife's ankle while she's sipping her STARBUCKS LATTE' OH WELL.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Exotic animals are introduced by many means around the world. If exotic pets released, they can explode like the giant constrictors in our Everglades or the escaped TIGER from an illegal collection where I live. The individuals have it rough; no parental guidance as a juvenile and they behave so.
Mammalian Mating is unlikely because of numbers.
As urban sprawl pushes into wild areas animals adapt or die out. This is the prime reason we are experiencing new diseases like COVID that wipe out more individuals than the biggest Bengal Tiger.
Racoons, possums, skunks, black bears, mountain lions, coyotes were here before the first palm tree planted on Rodeo Drive.
I used to see deer feeding right off my freeway offramp in the morning and one foggy morning found my car surrounded by at least 100 California Quail. Buzzards sailed overhead every day and the occasional rattlesnake or Kingsnake would be found on my stairwell.
NO MORE, They literally levelled the hillside and backfilled a small valley ( Bible refernce?) and plunked down 8 mini mansions replete with wrought iron security fences to keep out apartment
dwelling and wild riffraff.
I worry about exotics. I still think encountering a Lion ( and have) part of the game and keeps me aware. Last time I was armed with a SAK, faced it with arms raised to appear bigger and growled 'here kitty,kity,kitty. It took off. If one should chew on a trophy wife's ankle while she's sipping her STARBUCKS LATTE' OH WELL
That reads that the tiger exploded in the same way as the pythons. I have seen a picture of an exploded python, think it tried to swallow an alligator, what made the tiger explode?

Since you mentioned tigers, then exotics, was the lion you encountered a real lion, or a puma? I assume the latter but present context could be unclear.

if there would be large cats in the UK what would they live on?! would there be enough deer for them to feed on without anyone noticing or would they go for livestock (which i'm sure would p*** off the farmers...)?!
in the over 4years i'm now in central america i've never seen an ocelot (now the apex predator where jaguar and puma are gone) but found fresh prints one morning 100m from the house so i know they're still there...

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
That reads that the tiger exploded in the same way as the pythons. I have seen a picture of an exploded python, think it tried to swallow an alligator, what made the tiger explode?

Since you mentioned tigers, then exotics, was the lion you encountered a real lion, or a puma? I assume the latter but present context could be unclear.
I am fighting malaise from my covid shot with the medicinal application of Lagavulin 16 year. I bought three bottles with my stimulus cheque. I meant populations of invasive species can explode in numbers.
You can thank me for stimulating the UK economy post Brexit instead of Sen McConnell's Kentucky bourbon producers already getting 20% of my California Federal tax dollars.
Puma, Paint, Mountain lion, America lion, Cougar; take your pick. They live in our wild areas between the coast and 101freeway and then beyond. We are constructing a wildlife access tunnel under the freeway not far from the old M.A.S.H. set where I almost ran Justin Beiber in his chromed Tesla off the road. Justin is NOT a lion, but another feline word sums up his manhood. There was no individual exchange between the two populations until one male was tracked making his way through a storm drain and fathering several cubs. He burned his paws in our last fires and succumbed to septicemia.
The population grew after a ban on hunting with dogs a few decades ago. Human attracks are rare; two fatalities of a mountain biker and jogger mimicking fleeing prey. A juvenile jumped a hiker who managed to wrestle it down and strangle with his foot. He suffered a nasty arm wound and made his way back to the trailhead and help bleeding profusely.
I could close with BLAKE'S TIGER poem; but that requires another dram of Scotch.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
We live with the big cats and also the Lynx and Bobcats. The Black Bears are already coming out of hibernation (early) so the Grizzlies will be next. Yes, they wander our streets. The deer will actually attempt to eat your groceries before you can make it into the house. You have to think twice about unloading. I have yet to see any wolves or coyotes in the village but that's only time. For all practical purposes, it's really stupid to wander around alone after dark. Really stupid.

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
We live with the big cats and also the Lynx and Bobcats. The Black Bears are already coming out of hibernation (early) so the Grizzlies will be next. Yes, they wander our streets. The deer will actually attempt to eat your groceries before you can make it into the house. You have to think twice about unloading. I have yet to see any wolves or coyotes in the village but that's only time. For all practical purposes, it's really stupid to wander around alone after dark. Really stupid.
I grew up with black bears still about in SoCal and was stationed on Kodiak and did post military population studies on Kenai. I visited Barrow and saw Polar Bears. I came home and years later this starry eyed girl wants me to meet this guy her group was promoting. We drive to Santa Monica and it's TIMOTHY TREADWELL. I tried to explain the real world to him. I was told to leave after maybe 5 minutes. My parting shot was 'You are going to get yourself, maybe a companion and a bear killed. I will mourn the bear.'

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Kill sites and cubs. Two things that require a mile spacing. There's never any discussion. More and more wilderness campsites are 8' fenced and barbed wire along the top.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Kill sites and cubs. Two things that require a mile spacing. There's never any discussion. More and more wilderness campsites are 8' fenced and barbed wire along the top.
Isn't that a bit of an oxymoron? Fenced wilderness camp site?

What sort of gate do these campsites have?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE