Is this a genuine Martindale knife, or a Chinese copy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
Hi all,

I've recently dug out a machete I've had for about 7 years. It doesn't hold an edge well, and although I'm pretty hopeless at sharpening, it just won't take a very good edge. I was having a read on these forums about them, and I'm now concerned it might be a chinese copy. If you can cast your eyes over it for me, and give me your thoughts, I'd be grateful!

The blade say's Martinedale, No.432w

image2%201.jpg

I think it's the Para Machete? (I've taped over the DPM sheath)

IMG_6080.jpg

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
I would say yes, it appears genuine. Although it could just be a bad example.
If it doesn't take an edge, and wont hold it, then it is junk regardless of manufacture.
Persevere, as you said. You might not be putting a sufficient edge, on to begin with.

Shelley

Forager
May 27, 2015
New Zealand
I have an original golok, the bigger one, it too does not really hold its edge that well, although I have managed to get it sharp (basically lots of sandpaper and time), on the plus side it's fairly easy to resharpen now.
Would be surprised that there are cheap Chinese copies around as they are damn cheap to start with, I understand that the milled steel that martindale uses is 1084, not the best stuff in the world by any means (of course I may be wrong on that but it's what I have heard).
Now that they are produced off site that quality seems to have gone down markedly.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
100% genuine mate. The steel on them is cheese, file the profile down and that will help but don't expect wonders.

I will do it for you if you cover the postage. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE