is the sap rising neer you yet?

catweasel

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2009
rotherham
just been out to check the for the sap rising here in yorkshire, sadly its not ready yet, ive been wondering when it'll start what with the winter we've had this year (last year it started about now give or take a week)

I've tryed the birch and the sycamore, not found a maple yet i might be a bit too far north

so has it started neer you yet?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
It rose at the start of March here last year. A little early at the moment i think. Give it another week or two and it will be flowing in most places.

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
aye i'm going to wait till march before i try owt, there is an aweful lot of birch on the way into work and i've already got some out of the way places to pop taps on whilst i'm at work :D

catweasel

Tenderfoot
Dec 10, 2009
rotherham
i thought the south might have started by now, last year round here it was the end of feb/start of march when it starts i'll hve a tap in every tree with in 2 miles (got to stock up on birch wine) :)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
Actually here's a question, what are you guys using to protect your sap when it rains? i.e. your collecting and your away from your collector and the rain starts coming down?
do you just let it dilute?

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I cover mine with a square of old goretex. Just pin it to the tree around your tap. It hides it too to some degree which is good if you are leaving it for the day.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I always hide mine with scrim scarves. When I first started collecting it some years ago, I thought it was supposed to be that yellow. The salty taste confused me for a while :thinkerg:

Survivalmike

Forager
Jan 25, 2010
Austria
Here in Austria it would be a while longer to get to the refreshing sap.
We have already winter and a lot of snow here - so I´m waiting and waitung and ........

I think in the middle of March the sap is in full rising....

greetings from Austria
Mike

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Dry as a bone here. I reckon at least another month.

15Feb201030.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cheers, I might give that a go with a pencil thin piece and a small hole. All this talk of rotting hollow trees because of our tapping has got me concerned.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE