Is that a bad fitted Small forest axe? [PIC HEAVY, BUT DETAILED]

Feb 14, 2016
Lithuania
I just made a purchase for an Small Forest Axe from a local shop. It came by post and I made inspection of it and found that handle is not fit tight enough on the back of the head in underside. I wonder if that is an issue or it is normal and so I don’t have to worry about it. Here is a few pics that I have taken. I put a toothpick in that gap and it goes about 2 cm deep. Might go deeper if I insert an thin wire. Head is not loose no wobble nor sideways movement, but I hardly used it for any serious task yet.
The top part is have been made tight and nice thou.
Is it ok to use it or should I return it?
6CnK87k.jpg

qdc4iKE.jpg

Z98NxQx.jpg

b5OJ5MK.jpg

Look like small gap on top too. but that one is like small and shallow. Not a problem I think.
NqSFr4i.jpg

Also a end of the handle looks like been cracket just a tiny bit, but been glued with something. Not an issue this one, but they advertise as they are not using anything to mask fails in production.
Le5iiYm.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd return it, immediately and demand a replacement or full refund.

If the retailer is local then I'd return it in person.

It may well be fine but I suspect not. There is certainly plenty of scope for serious doubt.

I don't like the look of it and definitely would have rejected it in a shop if I'd had the chance to inspect it before purchase.

Good luck.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Would it be safe to use? More than likely. Would i be happy paying GB prices for that level of finish?
Not a chance, send it back and ask them to try again....................................

On the other hand if i paid a tenner for a no-brand kindling spliiter from BnQ I would be happy.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
Send it back, I had a Ray mears wilderness axe from Woodlore a few years ago with a similar issue and I had it exchanged immediately.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Yeah, as the others have said (So I should probably not do it again:D) politely ask for a refund and they're likely to do it no problem, it's a quality tool with an expected standard of workmanship and finish and if it's not attained that level you should feel comfortable in exchanging it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE