Is Merino Wool worth the premium for a hat?

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I'm after a new beanie hat and fancy one of the merino / posum hats from chocolate fish merino but I'm not sure if they are worth the premium.

As well as wearing my hat when I'm out and about I also wear it when I'm diving (well, on the surface between dives although I have nearly jumped in wearing it...) and as a result of this it usually spends all day being soaked in seawater. I currently have a normal acrylic beanie hat (£2.50) which works well but has seen better days. Is a merino hat going to give me any advantage under these conditions? The only merino clothing I have got are my seal skinz gloves which are nice but I don't think I'd want their hat as it seems quite stiff.

Thanks

Chris G

Settler
Mar 23, 2007
Cheshire
No, and I've got one.

Get yourself a Mountain Cap clone (Berghaus, Lowe Alpine,etc). Much better and will keep you dry between getting wet, if you see what I mean.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've got one of the merino/possum hats. As far as I'm concernerd:
  • It's very warm indeed
    It's not that wind proof
    It's not at all waterproof
    It's really comfortable
    It'll shrink a bit when washed (now a nice snug fit)

I wear it quite a lot despite the fact that I have loads of hats, but more of a "keep out a chill in the summer" than a "keep out the worst of the winter weather" hat.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I've got the "Ray Mears" possum/merino beanie and it's nothing special : nice colour, soft and warm, but a bit loose and shapeless, not wind or waterproof and a bit expensive IMHO. Mountain Cap is the way to go.

NS

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'd say a mountain cap, or something of that style, would be better than a beanie for what you describe. I have a possum/merino beanie and like it a lot, but it's not something I'd wear to keep the water out. Mine was from kiwikate.co.uk but I think Ray Mears has them cheaper these days.

As has been said earlier in the thread, I found it a bit saggy and shapeless to start with, but after washing I reckon it shrank by about 30% and is now a good fit and has "felted up" a lot to make it more dense and comfy.

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Cal
I dive too and gave up wool hats in favour of mountain caps some time ago. I thought mine was a gimmick until I had worn it at sea for a few times. It now doubles for winter/cold wet weather bushcrafting.
Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE