Is a psk really needed in the UK?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
It amuses me often how some people go through life completely unprepared for any challenges that life throws there way. Winter driving - no spare clothing liquids etc. Summer protection from the sun and heat. Flooding. Life throws curve balls and one needs to be attuned with the seasons and what issues can arise. A credit card and a small quantity of cash is a pretty handy PSK in todays world. Often whats suitable for remote travel will get you into trouble in the urban jungle.

My eclectic mix of skills is my best survival kit. The gear is nice to have but not really necessary. I rarely carry a knife. Fairly odd for a full time bushcraft instructor.
Although I have lots available should i need one.

I guess my favourite survival tool is my leatherman juice XE as its a non locking folder, Coupled with a lighter and my phone there is little I couldn't sort.

Reactions: Mesquite

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Newest buy for me against the scorching sun is an umbrella (Euroschirm light trek) with sunprotection of SPF50.

shopping
I think I saw WildBeare do a youtube video recently where she had one of these....may have been someone else but makes a decent sunshade as well

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
It amuses me often how some people go through life completely unprepared for any challenges that life throws there way. Winter driving - no spare clothing liquids etc. Summer protection from the sun and heat. Flooding. Life throws curve balls and one needs to be attuned with the seasons and what issues can arise. A credit card and a small quantity of cash is a pretty handy PSK in todays world. Often whats suitable for remote travel will get you into trouble in the urban jungle.

My eclectic mix of skills is my best survival kit. The gear is nice to have but not really necessary. I rarely carry a knife. Fairly odd for a full time bushcraft instructor.
Although I have lots available should i need one.

I guess my favourite survival tool is my leatherman juice XE as its a non locking folder, Coupled with a lighter and my phone there is little I couldn't sort.

everyone is different,
i have 2 main kits, my smaller kit is urban/shopping/stately home, it has a SAK, and the blade does get used, my probably as much as scissors/screwdriver, it only has a mciro ferro but thats because i had a spare, the lighter does get used, battery charging and first aid and snacks are the main things used, and things like monocular and plant ID books...

but while you can operate in urban without much kit...and simply buy bottled water if thirsty....that seems a waste of resources, natural and financial...and shouldnt most bushcrafters be able preserving the natural world? why buy a box of iburofen when you have already at home...

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
makes a decent sunshade as well
Mainly that is why I bought it, if being forced to sit somewhere where there are no decent shady places.
I don´t mind the sun so much when walking. I have loose trousers that allow air to move around my legs and long sleeve shirt and boonie hat.
But it is if/when I have to sit still that scorching sun bothers me.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

"Is a psk really needed in the UK?"​

Maybe not currently but give it 5 years and lets see how things pan out.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset

well i use my belt kit far more than i used to....especially the weather/protection aspects, gloves, dust masks, sunblock, buff soaked inw ater to cool down, poncho against rain storms all these are getting far more use than they used to.....

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK

Sure, we’ll all carry what we need to carry as things change just as we did during Covid. That’s no call for me to carry a bloody great tool belt today when a phone and cash, maybe some paper handkerchiefs are all i need.

(I don’t need the cash if I have phone and signal)

Unless of course you enjoy wearing a tool belt. That’s fine.

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Sure, we’ll all carry what we need to carry as things change just as we did during Covid. That’s no call for me to carry a bloody great tool belt today when a phone and cash, maybe some paper handkerchiefs are all i need.

ive often seen shops saying the phoen payment systems arent working....if you have phone...then people often keep cash in phone case....

a frind of mine pays with watch so he doesnt need to carry wallet or phone while out running, and hes constantly having issues where at the till hes been unable to pay...

i wear my belt and molle every time i visit clients, i often get asked why do i wear an army belt
I answer as your paying em to be heear to fix your compuer ( withdraws leatehrman from belt) not pay me to walk to and from my car....

as im in a city i often have to walk to clients from carpark...

Reactions: GreyCat

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Never yet had problem with phone payment except for cash only establishments.
The phone navigates, informs, and if necessary rescues. It’s not a medical kit and it’s not a car repair kit but it does most things. It’s the nearest I’ve got to a survival kit for survival in my environment.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

My comment was maybe too subtle or too tongue in cheek .
Lets see how whats going on in the Ukraine pans out.

Reactions: GreyCat

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE