Is it wise to carry a whistle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
I should perhaps add that I am drinking some really good Fullers Brewer's Special Reserve, Oak Aged Ale - 8.2% - it is seriously tasty

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I should perhaps add that I am drinking some really good Fullers Brewer's Special Reserve, Oak Aged Ale - 8.2% - it is seriously tasty

Guinness here, unfortunately from a can, so not the real deal:( tis going down rather well though:)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Just a comment - metal whistles are not recommended in really cold conditions, as they might freeze to your lips.

This winter that doesn't seem likely to be a problem.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah I always carry a whistle or two, on the subject of the Mountain Distress Signal. I was always told not too give the 3 blast repeat signal as it may be that the person in distress in a moment of relief/shock may stop giving there 6 blasts believing themselves found.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just a comment - metal whistles are not recommended in really cold conditions, as they might freeze to your lips.

This winter that doesn't seem likely to be a problem.

That reminds me - if it gets really cold then maybe you should avoid a whistle with a pea in it in case it gets frozen and stuck inside the chamber. But you could probably thaw it out by puttng it somewhere warm on your body (Not your mouth though!:))

Jan 3, 2012
tiverton,devon
i to carry a whistle, and so does my son. it does come in handy when he`s wondered off and lost his barrings a couple of blast`s soon has dad up and on his way to find him :lmao:

i have just bought 2 of the ranger whistles to try out they look good sound load plus the have thermometerer on one side and a compass on the other, now i just have to teach him how to use the compass so he can find his own way back and save his blushes :)

I carry a antler made whistle in my pouch and I also have a metal one.
I had the metal one on my keyring before but I read that you are not allowed them on planes so I had to take it off. Not sure whether this was true or not.

My big rucksack also has an emergency whistle....not recommended to blow it in the house to test it. :D

If you are lost and do you 6 blasts, then you hear the 3 from the rescuers....do you just repeat until they find you or once they have replied do you wait for a period before doing it again?

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
If you can still breathe, you can still blow a whistle. You can breathe pretty adequately with just one lung.

I know, I know, what if you have 2 punctured lungs.....

The comment was made in jest. :)
I'm struggling to think of any survival kits or survival kit recommendations that don't contain a whistle.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE