Is it possible to survive as a vegetarian?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Don't sell yourself short mary (no pun intended :D )

You clearly have a huge amount of knowlege.....do some Folks know more?.....well theres always someone better out there eh. But you would be right up there with them i'm sure

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Don't sell yourself short mary (no pun intended :D )

You clearly have a huge amount of knowlege.....do some Folks know more?.....well theres always someone better out there eh. But you would be right up there with them i'm sure

I reckon Toddy should start writing what she knows down. Everyone's got a good book inside them :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I reckon Toddy should start writing what she knows down. Everyone's got a good book inside them :)

I believe she could safely divide that into at least three separate books with a fair following:
1) A traditional Scottish cookbook
2) Home crafting, and
3) Local history/lore.

Probably more.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
She has no excuse - she has nagged me to do it!

Heh heh. Definitely then. Every now and then it is confirmed to me what a powerhouse of practical information this forum/website is. Perhaps someone more intelligent than me would suggest a book, compiled chapetr by chapter of different but connected areas by many different authors, along the lines of 'The Traditional Bowyer's Bible' series. I'd buy that!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Heh heh. Definitely then. Every now and then it is confirmed to me what a powerhouse of practical information this forum/website is. Perhaps someone more intelligent than me would suggest a book, compiled chapetr by chapter of different but connected areas by many different authors, along the lines of 'The Traditional Bowyer's Bible' series. I'd buy that!

But if it was written by us at BCUK the addendums & footnotes would be longer than the book.* :D

*Oh no they wouldn't.**

** Oh yes they would. ***

*** See what I mean!

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
This is an interesting topic, and I've held off commenting so far. To live off the land (as I assume the OP meant) and live off only veg would be tough - if you've watched the Discovery channel show "Naked and afraid" you'll see folks starving themselves for the three weeks they have to stay in country because they cannot reliably catch enough food and don't possess enough local knowledge to forage enough plant based food to survive comfortably.
If you had enough knowledge of local food sources I think you could survive on plant alone - it may not be a tasty diet but you could do it. But obviously adding in meat to the equation makes a huge nutritional boost. It's all about knowing what foods are available, where and when - the Australian Aborigines are a perfect example of this!

As to the question of if it is possible to live on a vegetarian diet alone, that's a no-brainer - yes. I've lived three quarters of my life as a vegan or vegetarian (even macrobiotic for some years) and I'm healthy and very active. I think you can eat a much more varied and nutritious diet when you have to put some thought into it ;)

Only some thoughts, hope this adds something to the discussion.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
Macrobiotic is a traditional Japanese diet where you eat mainly seasonal foods from your local area - no processed foods, sugar, meat, etc. It's pretty tough to make the change but extremely healthy :)

johntarmac

May 17, 2015
Herts
Roughly I think
Macro is Greek for long so lifestyle.
Biotic is the relationship of organisms to one another.

A lifestyle of eating natural foods rather than processed foods. I think :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I suppose. It seemed to me that it would infer eating large (macro) biotic foods (yogurts, buttermilk, etc.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE