Is it pining for the fjords?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonny the monkey

Tenderfoot
May 12, 2014
Lincolnshire
I seem to remember from keeping budgies that when the leg is locked out at the knee then the toes are forced around the branch so they don't fall off the perch when they sleep, certainly and odd angle to find a bird at though!

Were its toes wrapped around a branch?

My understanding is that when a songbird flexes its "ankle," tendons close its toes. In this way, the bird uses its body weight to lock its toes around a branch instead of having to use muscle.

If the bird expired while perched, it seems reasonable that it could remain locked to the branch by its body weight. Wind or some other disturbance could have pitched it into an odd angle after it became rigid.

I am interested to hear what others think.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Bats also remain hanged by their feet after they have died. Bats and birds have tendons that lock while they sleep and if they happen to die while perched it can secure them to their perch. The photo looks like only the left foot is stuck on the branch, the right foot appears to be free.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Seen a few birds over the years impaled on thorns. So many more dangers in the modern world for birds too.

Many reasons but I like pining for the fjords the most, however unlikely that is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE