iron pyrites and amadou

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 10, 2008
Way out West
HI,
I am doing a talk on bushcraft for the local scout troop and am looking for a few extra bits (so i can show different firelighting solutions through the centuries). I am seeking some nodules of iron pyrites and a small amount of amadou so i can put together a neolithic style tinder bag.
any help with this would be very apreciated
Kind Regards
Pete

Apr 3, 2008
Eindhoven, NL
Hi! No disrespect to the previous poster, but I beg to differ, stone fire making is loads easier and less strenuous than with sticks. Here's a vid i made, using marcasite rather than pyrite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGgZ6jpVnCo

Happily I'm expecting to get hold of a new marcasite stone in the next couple of days (822 grams, yippee!!) so the piece I use in the vid is surplus to requirements. If u PM me I'll send you the small piece of marcasite I was using, and a piece of tinder fungus to go with it. I have some amadou I made, but it's a lot of work to make it, and you really don't need it. All amadou is is a compressed layer of the fungus, the trama layer, and using amadou or fomes fomentarius straight off the tree gives exactly the same result, using exactly the same method.

If you are interested then, as I say, PM me and I'll send it on.

all the best

Al :)

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Hi! No disrespect to the previous poster, but I beg to differ, stone fire making is loads easier and less strenuous than with sticks. Here's a vid i made, using marcasite rather than pyrite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGgZ6jpVnCo

Happily I'm expecting to get hold of a new marcasite stone in the next couple of days (822 grams, yippee!!) so the piece I use in the vid is surplus to requirements. If u PM me I'll send you the small piece of marcasite I was using, and a piece of tinder fungus to go with it. I have some amadou I made, but it's a lot of work to make it, and you really don't need it. All amadou is is a compressed layer of the fungus, the trama layer, and using amadou or fomes fomentarius straight off the tree gives exactly the same result, using exactly the same method.

If you are interested then, as I say, PM me and I'll send it on.

all the best

Al :)

:) its each to their own I guess, and I think it's dependant on alot of conditions, when I tried with iron pr. and horses hoof fungus it took about 30 minutes, but it was humid and the fungus was a little wet, found bow drill much easier :D!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE