Iron Fire Pit / Bowl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Can anyone recommend a good iron fire pit / bowl? I've had a look round and it seems they are either mega expensive or flimsy and nasty!

If anyone knows where I can get my hands on a decent quality, reasonably large, no frills pit at a sensible price, I would be sooooooo grateful.

Cheers

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have been using a 3'6" diameter aluminum satellite dish for over three years now. I unscrewed the three rods that come out of the dish to a point & hold the receiver. I then reversed these poles and bolted the receiver end of the poles through a center hole in the satellite dish, but on the outside of the dish. These then form the fire pit legs. I have had lots of very hot fires in the dish. It blows peoples mind when they realize what it is made from. Very light and the legs unscrew for transporting. I did drill a few drain holes in the bottom of the dish to keep it dry in heavy rain. Totally rubbish for getting a good TV reception though. Luckily I can spend hours just looking at flames and a boiling kettle.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Those Kadai ones look good but are a bit pricey. Try looking in junk yards or boot sales or antique fairs. I found a big brass bowl at the latter last year and it works well.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Go get a steel wheel from a scrap merchant. Make great fire bowls.

Or better just use the whole Landrover :theyareon:pokenest:

Actually these are pretty good, Cheap £10-£15, come apart for transport, throw out a decent heat, most supermarkets & B&Q stock them and you can cook on them.
potbellybbq.jpg

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Or better just use the whole Landrover :theyareon:pokenest:

Actually these are pretty good, Cheap £10-£15, come apart for transport, throw out a decent heat, most supermarkets & B&Q stock them and you can cook on them.
potbellybbq.jpg

I think I'm just fussing but it sort of looks top-heavy to me ... my head would prefer a wide base.

Elen Sentier

I have been using a 3'6" diameter aluminum satellite dish for over three years now. I unscrewed the three rods that come out of the dish to a point & hold the receiver. I then reversed these poles and bolted the receiver end of the poles through a center hole in the satellite dish, but on the outside of the dish. These then form the fire pit legs. I have had lots of very hot fires in the dish. It blows peoples mind when they realize what it is made from. Very light and the legs unscrew for transporting. I did drill a few drain holes in the bottom of the dish to keep it dry in heavy rain. Totally rubbish for getting a good TV reception though. Luckily I can spend hours just looking at flames and a boiling kettle.

Oh now that's an idea ... I think Hubby might be taking down the cranky ancient job from our chimney ...

Elen Sentier

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
How about something like this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300699999701?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

I have not got one but am planning to, perfect for the garden and also portable so can be taken to meets etc.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks - I have been looking at the eBay ones but I'm a bit worried about how strong they would be. I have had my eye on one that Sunshine BBQ have on there. That one is cast iron, 56cm diameter is on for £35.99.

Had a look at my local B&Q last night and they had nothing decent at all.

Thanks for all the suggestions though given me some food for thought!

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I bought a cheap steel fire pit from home bargains a few weeks ago to use when we're in the tin tent at places that don't allow ground fires.
It only cost £25 and is a fair size. Had a few long hot burns in there with no damage or warping.
4ema3a3e.jpg

y5ymazem.jpg

touched by nature

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE