Iron Camp Grills

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I’m hoping one of you will be able to point me in the right direction, I’m after an iron camp grill but am not having any luck sourcing one. What I'm basically after is an oblong steel frame, with a wire mesh top and fold out metal legs. Cabela’s in the States stock them for a mere $19.99, but I can't find anyone in the UK that stocks them. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Angus Og said:
Think this is what he was talking about

Right, a piece of expanded steel mesh, a bit of light angle iron, and a bit of work...

Looks easy, but then again I've never tried TiG or MiG welding...

I'd be tempted to make a triangular grill, and rely on finding stones to prop up the corners. And make a nut and bolt construction, so as to avoid welding.

Hackwsaw, spanner, screwdriver. No other tools necessary.

Keith.

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Keith_Beef said:
Right, a piece of expanded steel mesh, a bit of light angle iron, and a bit of work...

Looks easy, but then again I've never tried TiG or MiG welding...

I'd be tempted to make a triangular grill, and rely on finding stones to prop up the corners. And make a nut and bolt construction, so as to avoid welding.

Hackwsaw, spanner, screwdriver. No other tools necessary.

Keith.

Or the real bushcaft method, of rescuing a shopping basket from a stream and turning it upside down :D

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
The Cabela’s grill as per the link is the thing I’m after. As for making it, I don’t have either the skill or the tools unfortunately.

Thanks RB I was aware that Cabela’s shipped to the UK, but I’m a bit concerned that I’d end up paying considerably more in shipping/taxes than the worth of the goods.

I’ll have to investigate what my local blacksmith would charge to make one, however, It’ll no doubt be far more than the Sterling equivalent of $19.99.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I used to buy a lot from Cabelas and i never got charged duty.
It seems very hit and miss with C ,one company i buy from get's hit every time but never from Cabela's ???
I guess it's the chance you take but if you only order the grill and send it surface (slow boat) it should come through fine.

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
leon-1 said:
Nice link Jack, it wouldn't take very long to knock one of those up :)

Have been looking at that one for a while now Leon, think there good scope with that one.

...................now just have to clear my shed out!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you are only ordering the grill, at $19.99, you will NOT get hit for duty as that comes in under the limit set by UK customs.

However I would imagine that the shipping is going to be a bit steep.

Ravenn

Jan 13, 2005
Central, Ky,USA
3 pieces of rebar,3/8-1/2 " thick,12" long. drill hole 1/2" or so from one end. thread a piece of gas welding rod through them. Shape welding rod into an oval to allow rebar to spread slightly. Then weld loop closed. This rack lays acorss rocks, logs or trench fire places,is adjustable for width within the confines of the oval it is attached to.

something like this....... 0= (add a third steel rod.)

0< (picture a third rod in the center of the "v")

flibb

Tenderfoot
May 23, 2005
Kent
Have had stuff from cabelas in the past, I used the very cheap surface shipping. Took a while but was $15 (£8 at the time). Heres a bit from the QA section, this covers shipping to UK

Surface shipping and handling is 20% of the total order amount or a minimum of $15.00.
Air delivery is 40% of the total order amount or a minimum of $35.00.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE