Iron age style archery kit - any good places for info?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Iron Age bows have been found in Denmark and Northern Germany though I am unsure if any have been found in Britain? Discoveries in Vimose, Kragehule, Thorsbjerg, Heechterp and Nydam of Long Bows dated to between 100 and 350 A.D. They resembled the later English Long Bows in they were of a D section profile with one ring followed on the back. Made of Yew and possibly Fir the lengths ranged from 66 to 76 inches. Some bows had one set of nocks others two. some were cut into the back others in the side. The Vimose bows had the Yew sapwood left on the back and some of the limb tips were entirely sapwood.

Traditional Bowyers Bible volume 2 page 100.

Steve.

Many thanks for that :)

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
That article also pointed out that as Palmnut suggested the bow and archery was in decline in this period due to farming and agriculture supporting the population whereas hunting had been before. I still can't see how people would just give up the bow in these times? Protection from wild animals and surely a lust for meat would still require a weapon like the bow not to mention attack from other people? I think more likely most people went to farming and hence fewer had bows and this is why Iron Age bows are as rare as Hens teeth?

Steve.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE