Irish Sea fishing - Is a licence needed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
This is just a quick question as i'm catching a ferry in the morning to go to Ireland. Hoping to get time off at at the weekend and I was wondering do you need a licence to fish from the coast.

Thanks in advance.

Chris

slammer187

Nomad
Jul 11, 2009
Ireland
Nope, not that I know of...I've gone fishing without one and I see people almost everyday fishing without them so I don't think so...But that could be dependent on the specific area that you are visiting, your best bet is to ask at a local Garda station or fishing shop and you should get all the info that you need :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
You might be restricted to 2 fish per day, such as bass... but any local tackle shop will give you the low down.

Ireland has some stunning coastline, and fishing, only been sight seeing, but one day i'll take the rods over :)

TBL.

iamasmith

Forager
Aug 12, 2009
London
if you're passing through Holyhead- that's my gaff lol- I've been fishing off the breakwater and coast here all my life and never had a licence... so it go me thinking http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/recreation/fishing/31497.aspx i had a look, looks like you only need one for fresh water fishing :D HTH!

You might also want to check if the Environment Agency governs fresh water in NI if you want to have a go at that. It doesn't in Scotland so you don't need the Course/Trout or Salmon License at all up there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE