Irish Get to getter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
The 9th-12th of July should be OK but I will have confirm tomorrow if thats OK.

Can you give me a grid and sheet no. of the location your talking about I am not familer with it.

I have a felling this will be trip to remeber.

Is there anyone out there interest or is just us three or four.

James

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I'll hunt out the sheet no. tonight but for now here is a multimap view of the area. The general area is Lower Lough Erne (the northern-most lough, very irish!) Looks a bit dull from this with no detail but get a hold of the map and its great looking. Even better in the flesh too :biggthump There is forest nearly the whole way round the Lough and castle archdale forest is on the east shore......umm, somewhere!

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?lat=54.4445&lon=-7.6806&scale=200000

It would be good if we could get a few more lads to come.... i know there are more registered from ireland but maybe don't check the forums so regularly. There is plenty of time til then though for them to find out about it.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Thanks Larry,

I just picked up sheets showing the upper and lower and nearly jumped for joy when I opend the lower one.

I am 28 and have missed out on this all these years. :oops:

I sure more will put their names down between then and now so i look forward to meeting guys then.

James

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
All right guys I can now confirm (my weekend pass has been signed off and CCard handed over :-? ) that I will be there on the 9th to the 11th.

No bankholiday on the 12th down Mexico way.

Looking forward to it.

James

Mar 2, 2004
thai hammock anyone? lol just made one out of taffeta like the ones on wild day . com
think they call them pro pods or summit.so i got my acomodation sorted now :-D

Mar 2, 2004
oi where did everyone go?

i was kidding about the skin suit!!!
i just want a pair of slippers :wink:

anyfurther developments on this at the mo? lets keep it alive .....

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I am still very much up for it and have provisionly booked the Friday off for travel. :-D

I am looking forward to meeting you all and NB you'll have to bring a tin opener I am going to wear my chain mail suit in DPM off course.

Mar 2, 2004
lol.
thought of anymore ground rules m8? im lookin forward to trying out my hammock. and perhaps i,ll bring along a few of my toys...actually a chain mail suit might be the safe way to go jamesyboy :wink:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
I think just keep it simple and see how the land lies when we all meet up. To much planning takes the fun out of it.

Noughty Boy what is the name of the pack horse you are bringing to carry all the sharp toys I have been hearing about? :-D

I do think a few guide lines should be there but they should be more common scense ones the hard rules. We have loads of time to talk about boring stuff like that do.

Are set on the upper lough location? And will we all have to ware a pink coranation?

James

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I'm gonna have to say I can go provisionally only as the completion date of our house purchase is gonna be the end of july so I won't know until much closer to the time.

Had a great weekend in cavan just past and I have a nasty feeling I won't be getting another chance for a long time with all the preparation and planning swmbo is intent on.

So, I'm a yes.... potentionally, but can't commit I'm afraid :roll: [/i]

H

hawkeye

hello from belfast guys,are you going rough in the trees then?can i come? is this an old thread?

N

Nyogtha13

Hello you lot,

Just moved house so i have not really been checkin this till recently,so sorry for not getting involved, but i like the sound of it. I would not be able to make the 9th july weekend though. I know of a place on the ards peninsula, for a future meet, tis scout owned but might be a possibility, nice cos the warden only visits occasionally, no one there all the time, ground fires allowed, trees, river, bridge, stone wall and water tap. it is a couple of acres in size so should be big enuf for us if we behave.
With regards Naughty boy and being nuts, i met him once and there was that mad glint in his eye / i mean he seemed safe enuf....even had kids with him and made pancakes!
So if you go the 9th july have lots of fun, and might you all some time.

Robin

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
First up Weclome to Robin and Hawkeye.

I am afraid I am the barrier of bad news but work have thrown me a wobbly and I have to work not only that Friday, but the Saturday as well. So I am afraid I am going to have to take a rain check. :z:

I am still very interested in a Irish meet up but it will have to be either this year or early next year. If anyone want to make a suggestion it would be cool.

I really am sorry for starting the thread and then having to back out :oops: but if you guys go ahead enjoy it and post some pics to make me jealous.

James

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
Look at me and my first post!!!

Good to see the boys from the golden isle are keeping up with the rest, if not leadin the field :)

A meet up would be fantastic and good to see you all. Myself, Nyogtha13 and a few others are heading to Mount Stewart this weekend for a bit of camping and craftin so will be able to report back on the state of affairs down there. The reports i have heard so far are excellent so it should be a good laugh.

Cheers and beers, Phil.

Philbert

Tenderfoot
Jun 11, 2004
Northern Ireland
A fun weekend had by all!

Well the weather was completely pants for the weekend at mount stewart but i have to say it is a most fantastic place. The forest has lots of trees and the river is mainly wet. He he!

Only Kiddin, the estate is huge and the site is big enough to acomodate a range of bushcraft activities, there is plenty of scope for ground fires, areas for bivies and most important there were very few people around.

Hope this helps.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
Where abouts in Mount Stewart?
The little forest across the road ,on the sea side with all the "no camping" signs ?
Explored it myself one day but legged it when i discovered some dodgy Polaroids in the little concrete hut :yikes:
Who all turned up?
rapidboy

N

Nyogtha13

hello all,

If you lot go away this weekend have a splendiferous time.

With regards to Mountstewart it is actually a bit of the estate that is used by Newtownards and District Scouts as their campsite. It really is basically a forest, and not open to public use. There might be a possibility of us using it for a weekend, but i would need to talk to the warden about that. He might want a Scouter he knows to be there. Which means i would need to go. Over the last few years there has been a bit of a problem with unathorised camping, ie Joe Public camping without asking and causing problems for the Scouts using it, but i think that it is pretty much sorted out now.

I was with Philbert last week, with a couple of friends, 'tis a superb place.

all the best

Robin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE