Irish Get to getter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Hi All,

I have been thinking about this for a while and I was wondering if anyone anywhere on this far island or outside it would be up for a little gathering in the future some time.

I have no clear dates in mind or any particular place to hold it in but as the Island isn't all that big I sure we could sort out something.

What do think?

It would be be good to finally met some of you guys and gals.

James

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Sounds dead on to me...I'm in. I know a great spot in Cavan for camping/fishing where nobody seems to mind a fire.....but thats it as far as Mexico (south of the border) is concerned. You have any ideas James?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
The wilds of Cavan sound fine to me. Im afraid the only places I known down here are scouts sites and they are not always that open to none scout members but that can be gotten around.

I'll do a bit of look around and see if I come with something. North of the border is not out for me either.

I have to be honest do I am pretty much booked up until July with a course in June and some scouting things in between. Will this suite you guys? can you wait eight weeks?

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
A couple of months wait is fine with me too. A scout campsite would be dead on, but.... think we should throw a few suggested areas about?

Yer Naughtiness, can you think of anywhere up north that'd do? Probably limit it to Fermanagh, Armagh and Down areas for ease of travel.

Mar 2, 2004
im not fussy sparkster! anywhere with a couple of trees is fine with me.its only one night isnt it or is it a weekend? all we need is a secluded place where i can murder you both in your sleep and dress up in your innards while singing and dancing by the fire!

lol lol lol just kidding.
seriously though ..anywhere secluded where we can light a fire and wont be bothered by park rangers gernin about burning the forrest down.

crawfordsburn is feckin awesome but perhaps too close to civilization.after all it is bushcraft isnt it?perhaps we should meet up and just drive till we find somewhere we like the look of?

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Not a bad Idea NB.

I'll have to bring the brother he has one of those horseless carriages.

I open to both a weekend or overnighter infact depending on the distance a weekend might more worth the travel.

Well lets put our thinking caps on we have plenty of time to orgainise it.

james

Mar 2, 2004
cool but theres more than us three in the forum.and the more bodies i can get -the better the suit i can make with the skins!

lol lol that just makes me laugh so much.i,ll have to stop it :-D

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
Sounds like it would be sweet as a nut.

Naughty bits if you start asking us to use moisturiser on our skin weeks before the meet up then I'm not going. Incidently, are you a nutter? :-D

I read somewhere that Larry the spark camped up cave hill. Are all irish bushcrafters nuts?

Personally i have a thing for climbing trees and sticking sharp things in my fingers when trying to tap birch trees. I also seem to spend most of my time out doors searching for somewhere to crap as my body finds the fresh air a laxitive.

It would be nice to get somewhere with water for fishing and stuff and maybe a few deer, just to track and observe of course. And a fire is of course a must.

I reckon that we could go to Glenvey and be discrete enough to avoid detection (not play soilider) They have wild pigs there, something about that sounds cool.

Mar 2, 2004
wheres glenvey m8?
yes to all the other points .lol
wild pigs?no reference to deliverance eh?WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHH
i,ll just need some trees for my tarp and hammock[ if someone makes me one]...[for money]. a river or lake would be cool too.
im getting all excited now i hope i dont pee myself lol lol

ps you can get wild pigs in any bar on any night in belfast too! i was there for 24 years :wink:

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Andy B said:
Sounds like it would be sweet as a nut.

Naughty bits if you start asking us to use moisturiser on our skin weeks before the meet up then I'm not going. Incidently, are you a nutter? :-D
Andy B said:
Have you seen his knife collection? Haha, no seriously mate if he's bringing them all I'd start to worry.............. :wink:

Is this the place Andy?

http://www.dun-na-ngall.com/glenv.html

Looks great in my book.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
The Park contains 14,000 hectares of mountain, raised bogland, lakes and woodlands and is dissected by the valley which gives the park its name, Glenveigh (*Gleann Bheatha*) meaning Glen of the Birches.

Sounds like the lord made it for Bushcrafters. Saying that the rangers are rather strict I reckon and may shoot on sight.

There is a huge forest of birchs as mentioned above and seen with me own eyes on lesser spotted ulster with "ole grey heed bloke".

I was down in Mount errigal climbing and i drove through the park in winter, it was huge and magnificent, cracking stuff.

Mar 2, 2004
cool but what about a no tents rule?think it would make it more "authentic"?although everything else kitwise is encouraged,bring all you got so i can go ooohh and aaahh at it :lol:

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Haven't got a tent so thats cool with me.

I also don't have allot of kit except for the essentials more a lack funds mind you then spartan live style.

Can we throw a few dates around.

James

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Good idea NB..... how about some other rules? Fire by friction only, gather as many resourses as available, no stoves etc...... go all chimp-like and primitive!

How would the weekend starting friday 9th July suit. It can be a bit hairy in parts of the north leading up to the 12th which would be a god incentive to get away. How about Friday evening to Sunday night (or even Monday, as us Northerners get a public holiday)?

Any other date/place suggestions?

Mar 2, 2004
groovy,i,ll sort the kids so im free that weekend.but im bringing my trangia,wild horses and all that.
james m8 its your idea so if you disagree ,or anyone else ,then speak up.
i think someone needs to make a firm decision on location and the general outline of the camp as some things work best under a benign dictatorship.
i just feckin hate maybe,s
lead on m8. but please ,no ifs or buts or perhaps till we arrive .then we can go BONKERS!!! YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA. :naughty: :AR15firin :f: :sword: : -l) :eek:T: :bu: :rolmao: and all that

or we could just chill and rub the lotion on your skin! :wink:

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Date sorted then? Happy days..... Where to though?

I've been thinking about the Erne system. Its a great spot for everything and covers a massive area.

Glenveagh sounds good but maybe a bit more difficult to access for all parties...... The Erne system is a good halfway point for people coming from South and North. Any opinions?

Mar 2, 2004
yes i think the erne system is beautiful and accessible,with water,wildlife and forrests.now were getting somewhere. castle archdale is a nice spot although the sites are countless round there.walk for ten minutes and no-one would know you were there.
set up your tarp or hammock or basha,light a fire,brew some tea,talk a lot of nonsense,set some snares,cook some rabbit,catch some fish,light more friction fires,carve some spoons,talk more nonsense,light some farts,ooohh and aaahh at others kit,chop some wood,eat some plants,throw up,eat some different ones,throw up some more,

jesus i cant wait now lol :lol:

hope it dosent rain or my ray mears jammies will get wet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE