IPK-kit

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Just read in another thread about something called IPK-kit. It seems to be some kind of personal shelter.
Could someone please fill me in about what it is, how it´s used and if it is any good?
Thanks!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
It is basically a cheap tarp, some very good aluminium tubular pegs and some white cord.

The idea was, you dig a trench, set up the tarp above it and then back fill with the soil on top of the tarp.

This was meant to offer protection to nuclear fall out, and was capable of having a land rover driven over if done properly.

A nice cheap set up, but IIRC the tarp was a bit on the small side for using as a basha.

I still have some of the pegs, and use them in soft soil.

Simon

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
if its what i think it is, its a small military tarp with poles to make a tent buried in the ground, apparently if done correctly you can drive a land rover over it without it collapsing ?

but that is if i have got it right

EDIT: ........ simon beat me to it and it looks like i was right

cheers Simon :)

Mean and green are the cheapest I can source.
http://www.meanandgreen.com/army/British_Army/Individual_Protection_Kit_(IPK)/1310/2142.html

I've just roofed my hut with one sheet as it was leaking and hopefully it will last until spring! The groundsheet is very tough but a bit on the narrow side (5ft) in width for a decent tarp. They make fantastic groundsheets and the pegs and cord that come with them are very handy indeed. I've always had the notion of building a double shelter underground with these
and lining the wallls drystane style with a gravel floor but I reckon the dampness would be a real pain.

I'm not that far away (downwind) as the crow flies from the sub base, it may be prudent to buy a stack of these for the back garden...:rolleyes:

Dec 16, 2007
You dig a 2 man fighting trench then add another 6ft trench on that. that 6ft trench will then have and area 1ft to both sides dug down 1ft. the IPK is then laid ontop of the string that is spread across the trench forming a lattice work then you back fill onto this so you should end up with a 1 to 2ft thick roof on a sleeping area for one man.If you had time and energy the other man can dig in the othere end and make his own sleeping area as you would have an IPK each, but we ran a hot bed system when doing trench weeks in wales. hope that explains it.

PS when we tested the land rover over the top it didnt work as the weight on one wheel pushed through but a tracked vehical did less damage as the weight was spread on the tracks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE