Inuit inspired fid.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basically it's a strong spike; a strong, gently pointed, smooth surfaced, metal, wood or bone tool. The fid sometimes has a hollowed out channel on one side. The spike/fid allows one to spread apart ropes or basketry work without cutting, to pass another rope or rod through the space thus created.

cheers,
Toddy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I'm not going this year, I have family who are very ill, so I'm staying close to home. Wales is just too far to get home from if I'm needed.

Shall we see if Josh and Shewie might be available to pass things along ?

atb,
Mary
I am sorry to hear that Mary!
You are going to be missed!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Thank you for the good wishes :) it is much appreciated.

Gary, I'll see about passing this stuff on to Grooveski or Stuart69 and if they'll pass it to Shewie then I think it'll get to you before I get a chance to visit Murton again.

John, I'll see that someone brings down Wee Jock, back from his holidays :D

cheers,
M

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I LOVE this. I pretty much love everything you do Gary. Shows a great knowledge but also love of the history. Question is, where does one acquire whale bone?

From Wales of course.....
groooansmileyf.gif

Actually it was from a beach in Norway but I couldn't resist that.

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
HA! Yeah, I'll just rock up with a chisel eh?

Is it wrong that when I see something like this I think 'I have to make one of those!' this must be project #231244 that's in my head now.

PS. Gary - *groan* indeed!

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
The ring is a bit of 2mm silver wire I had spare...
as you do!

I obviously have the wrong kind of spare stuff filling the garage!

I really like this. The seal looks like he is bringing you the ring. (once the thong is added he will look like he's hanging on for dear life!)

Z

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Someone over on BcUSA told me that "The Inuit believe that if you do not make you work as beautiful as possible, you disrespect the spirits and are cursed with bad luck."

I'd never heard that before but it makes a great deal of sense when you look at the skill and craftsmanship that they put into their equipment.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Yes. And they are also gadget freaks.

What would an Inuit do with a fid anyway? They did not produce baskets or nets.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Notice the word inspired.

The tool this was inspired by was a hunting tool used to imitate a seal scratching the ice around a breathing hole intended to attract the resident seal to investigate.

Not the sort of tool I need...

I do however use a fid on frequent occasions so I used the seal head decoration on that instead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE