Inuit inspired fid.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
One of the nice things about planning for a new adventure is that it gives you an excuse to make a few nice things and push your research in different directions.

Lately I've had my nose stuck into a few books about the various tribes that live and work around the Arctic and I spotted a beautiful carved ivory tool decorated with the head of a seal.

Inuit_Fid.jpg

Well all I had was a bit of old whalebone that I use for a fid / marline spike (another greatly underrated tool like the awl) so this is what I've turned it into.

Unfortunately the bone is so old that it is a little brittle for carving but it's not too bad. The ring is a bit of 2mm silver wire I had spare and I'll hang it on a leather thong when I get around to it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like that :D It just looks *right* :D
I agree, too, fid and marlin spikes are incredibly useful tools :approve:

Somewhere I have an entire terms worth of University lectures on the Viking/Inuit/Skraelings of the Arctic....if I can find them, do you want a read ? I've got some of the offprints too.

atb,
M

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Lovely stuff!
If the bone will stand it, consider a broad, shallow groove along the inside of the curve, (á la swedish fid).

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've just raked through my files, and this one weighs four kilos :yikes: and that's without the books.....who's going down your way soonish ?

Does Shewie live anywhere near you ? I could get the stuff to Grooveski if he was going to meet up for a canoeing trip ?

cheers,
M

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Lovely work as usual Gary... simple but elegant :)

I've just raked through my files, and this one weighs four kilos :yikes: and that's without the books.....who's going down your way soonish ?

Shewie is not a Million miles away if I recall otherwise there are plenty of people going to the Moot from around here.

If you like I'll collect from Mary at the Moot for you then pass it on when we meet up in September at RC... That is if you can wait that long :rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm not going this year, I have family who are very ill, so I'm staying close to home. Wales is just too far to get home from if I'm needed.

Shall we see if Josh and Shewie might be available to pass things along ?

atb,
Mary

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'm not going this year, I have family who are very ill, so I'm staying close to home. Wales is just too far to get home from if I'm needed.

Shall we see if Josh and Shewie might be available to pass things along ?

atb,
Mary

I'm just about to head off to Canada for a few weeks Mary but I'm more than happy to grab it next time I'm up, looking at the calendar that's probably going to be August 12th or 26th

Fingers crossed for the poorly folk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE