Thanks mate. It's a damn sight easier than the hand drill. See you in July fingers crossed. Good talking to you today.![]()
Brilliant, that seems a much better way to go. Great vid.
Thanks for posting that, watched the whole thing, very interesting and the film is from my year of birth which adds an interest of its own.
Also of interest was the lack of notch or second hole for the ember to form in...or did I miss it?
Rob.
Some Inuit use pounded moss and fine feather down for tinder.
If that was so, would have been very hard to see.
They have no trees. Tundra & Polar desert.
Wood, as driftwood, is a rare and very valuable commodity.
Trivia: The common hypothesis is that sea levels rose by as much as 200' after the last glacial period.
So fast in fact that the Haida Gwaii village that you were born in might be under water by the time you died.
So, Parks Canada sent a team of scuba divers to follow submeged river courses out into what is now the ocean.
Lo and behold! Stone fish weirs at 70+ feet, identical to the modern ones in use this year.
I can't recall if they said how far off shore the discovery was made.
Thanks for posting that, watched the whole thing, very interesting and the film is from my year of birth which adds an interest of its own.
Also of interest was the lack of notch or second hole for the ember to form in...or did I miss it?
Rob.
Had some time to spare and took another look then took a screen shot....there appears to be a small slot forward of the drill hole....I think you are right Rob. I couldn't see a notch on the board. God knows how they did it.