Over the last couple of years my joints have been playing me up quite a bit, so the last couple of days I have been looking for an alternative friction method. I did the bow drill about eight years ago with no problems but when I did it the other week my elbows and knees really paid for it. I also managed to do the hand drill three times a couple of weeks back, which was really painful to my hands. It took a good week before they were back to normal. Yesterday I came across the Inuit fire drill, so I thought that I would give that a go. I started to make the set first thing this morning and when I had finished I put it to one side as I had to go out. I just tried it indoors for the first time about half an hour ago. I managed to get a coal first time in about fifteen seconds. It's a brilliant little set which is going to be my method of choice from now on. No aches or pains and no breathlessness. I'll put some pics up of my set on Saturday. Here's a vid of someone doing it.
[video=youtube;abfedzg4eVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abfedzg4eVQ[/video]
[video=youtube;abfedzg4eVQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abfedzg4eVQ[/video]
some months back someone posted an old inuit video and it showed one of them holding a block in his mouth while drilling to make fire and it catched my attention as i had not seen that before, the video was not specifically about fire-making just the old inuit way of life but the unusual fire-drill method catched my eye, unfortunatley i can't remember the name of video or the member that posted it or even what the thread was about, if it comes back to me i'll let you know and post it up for you.