introducing myself

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
Hello dear reader! I joined here to get in on a group-buy. I will have to admit to being a bit of a gear-junkie, and I am more of a hiker than a bushcrafter since I seldom make or craft anything out there by myself - except for fires, and cups of coffee.

I live in the middle of Sweden where there is never very far to a forest to hang out in (and I do sleep in hammocks now and then), but nowadays it seems like there are few people around here who enjoy being outdoors doing simple things like walking, sleeping and eating, compared to going shopping, watching telly and maybe looking on the interwebs for group-buy deals ... It is pretty much only on weekends you would see other persons walking further than a km from their house.

I chose the nickname köld, and as you probably have guessed it means cold, which is true about the weather here atm, -10 degrees. That's enough for someone who is underquilt-less ;)

My first contact with the word bushcraft from someone else than Ray Mears was probably when I watched this video of a guy making a fire in the snow using a very large knife instead of a proper axe (be sure to mute your speakers beforehand if you don't fancy hearing the cheesiest trance-pop music) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV5BOFT4D6A

Thanks for reading, Köld.

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
Thank you for your welcoming posts Silverback 1, RonW, tartanferret, Shewie, Barn owl, Chris the cat, soloman, John Fenna, Mesquite, bristolsparks and Pauljim116!
Chris the cat - I had never heard about that place before and had to look it up on a map. I have never been that far north in Sweden to be honest. Going up there means to travel approximately the distance from here to Berlin, Germany - to put it into perspective :)
Never been to the UK, yet, but I would very much like to see what you're hiding up there in the Highlands and in the outer Hebrides.

Here is a photo from my last excursion to the backyard forest. Practiced making fire and cheated with some dry newspapers which I would probably not have handy if I really really needed a fire.

ute.jpg

Köld

Tenderfoot
Feb 2, 2012
Thule
What area are you from, Köld?

I now live in Dalarna

In Uppland. Dalarna are wondefull (I guess -na means there are more than one dal) and there are very many places there I would like to go to still. Trängslet is a place there where they built a dam to tame the river into electricity. An eerie atmosphere there now when you walk on the riverbed (which is of course verboten!) and imagine how it must have been for thousands of years before the dam was built.

Thank you Turbogirl!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE