Intro / Basic Knife Question £30-£50

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBarker

Aug 17, 2010
MK
Evening all,

First time poster/long time reader - great site am getting some good tips.

Have been a long time camper and outdoors type (shooting, riding, Mountain Biking etc) but never really managed to separate myself from prefab BBQs, Tents and Burgers before. But am looking and getting more into actual bushcraft.

Have ordered a Frosts Mora as per but am also looking for an wooden handle fixed blade knife in the £30-£50 that would hold up to rookie ways for a decent amount of time. Just basic camping type knife wont be cutting down trees with it. Is this enough to spend on a basic level one? Somewhat of a rookie question but want something that looks nice but still usable.

Have done a search. Lots on budget knives (hence the mora) but struggling to answer this one.

Also importantly if there is anywhere recommended to buying it from? Also general survival gear websites?

Seems that websites are dime a dozen but don't know enough to know if I am getting what I am paying for!

Cheers

Chris

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
To be honest, I still use my Mora more than any of my my knives. (Except for my Spyderco Bug, which I use almost daily as it sits on my keyring.) I'd wait and see how you get on with the Mora before I'd buy anything else. Just because it's cheap does not mean that it isn't any good - I love mine. Just get yourself some leather and make a decent sheath for it.

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
Hi ,
I still use one of these Knives ( I say one , but mean four , three stay in the kitchen ) . If you don't like the handle there are many guides out there on how to rehandle one , in fact it's my next " things to do " on my list .
Cheers, Trev .
No affiliation although the more you order the cheaper the postage . True for anywhere I guess but meant more as a warning towards the postage costs than anything else .

nells55

Feb 16, 2010
wigan
hi have you tryed the condor woodlore knife not bad for 30 or so pounds i got one and was impressed try a quick google for more info

Ph34r

Settler
Feb 2, 2010
Oxfordshire, England
Thought about making one? not as hard as it seems.

I would reccomend getting a gerber big rock wiht straight egde. They are available for about £30, and mine outdoes my F1.

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
Hi Chris,
I own a lot of knives and more will come in the future, but the most used/abused is always my Mora (I have also a backup one) for a lot of reasons, but first of all because it really does everything that I need.
Don't be fooled by the price, it's worth a lot more of its price..
It's really a very good knife, so my suggestion is to keep it and use it, in the meanwhile save some money and look around until you find one that suit best your needs, unless you have other good reasons to buy another one.

Here you'll find plenty of good advices, or some great offers from our makers.

Anyway, whathever knife you'll use, have a lot of fun :cool:

Cheers
Paolo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE