into the wild

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Good that they got the bodies out before (?) the wolves and bears found them.
I doubt they would have fared any better further south in the Boreal Forest Biome.
We have a dozen lush berry sources of Vitamin C. Drying would be the sole method of paleo preservation.

I have seen baskets of the dried native Pacific crabapples.

All those berries are like bullets when dry. I've done it. Steeped in water overnight is not much of an improvement
for Saskatoons, strawberries, chokecherries and pincherries.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I'm not sure he was an idiot, I suspect there was an aspect of mental illness. He was not far from other people and help but didn't seek it out when he started to get ill but was still capable of walking.

JamPan

Forager
Jun 8, 2017
Yorkshire
These are the people. I've just found this on wikipedia. I'm not sure there's any of them left after reading the book.

The Ihalmiut ᐃᓴᓪᒥᐅᑦ [ihalmiˈut] ("People from Beyond") or Ahiarmiut ("the Out-of-the-Way Dwellers") are a group of inland Inuit who lived along the banks of the Kazan River, Ennadai Lake Little Dubawnt Lake (renamed Kamilikuak), and north of Thlewiaza ("Big River") in northern Canada's Keewatin Region of the Northwest Territories, now the Kivalliq Region ("Barren Lands") of present-day Nunavut.

Sundowner

Jan 21, 2013
Northumberland
Alaskan Park Ranger Peter Christian wrote:

When you consider McCandless from my perspective, you quickly see that what he did wasn't even particularly daring, just stupid, tragic, and inconsiderate. First off, he spent very little time learning how to actually live in the wild. He arrived at the Stampede Trail without even a map of the area. If he [had] had a good map he could have walked out of his predicament [...] Essentially, Chris McCandless committed suicide.[31]

:bump: yep, that's my take on it too

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
From the impression I get, if McCandless had had a good map he would have seen all the cabins around the area he stayed which he thought was wild and probably would have pushed on until the land was 'wild' enough to satisfy whatever craving he had. Then most likely his body would never have been found.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The bus is labelled: Fairbanks City. Look it up. Then, a Park Ranger from Alaska speaks up.
The kid was away over west in Alaska, would be my educated guess.
The Boreal Forest Biome comes right down to the ocean.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE