International Men's Day.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
( Taken from my SM )

Tomorrow is International Men's Day.

mens1.jpg
I try to post this every year to do my bit to raise awareness as much as I can, as its a subject that I'm passionate about.
I've lost a couple of Male friends to suicide and have at times in the past struggled myself with darker thoughts that I'm sure many of us do ( male and female ) - in silence and without feeling able to be able to ask for help.

Statistics on Suicide are quite simply harrowing.
https://media.samaritans.org/.../Suicide_Stats_England...

So before people start reaching for the 'Like' button to show solidarity I wonder if I can ask the following?? ,- message, text, ring , facetime - whatever - any of your male friends you've not seen for while just to say:- " Hi! How you doing " and check in with them.

Men as we all know , are not the best for communicating their feelings at the best of times, - never mind the worst of times.

Thank You.

TeeDee

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Those numbers speak for themselves. That said, I suspect some of them are slanted due to men's reluctance to report (domestic violence being the obvious one) and the real numbers are likely higher.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

I'd be far more content if Men could just find the ability to talk/unload/vent before they need to cry to be honest - although crying is perfectly acceptable. Just don't like the idea people need to get to the point that they are juggling fragile emotions and crying before some breakthrough 'allows' them to talk.

But yes, all good points. Thank you.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Isn't it all part of what has been called toxic masculinity?

Often initiated in early years by a well meaning dad possibly mum too.

Reactions: Wandjina

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
You have got me thinking now.. that there are all sorts of issues around men's health eg work related stress, undiagnosed mental health condition such as psychosis,schizophrenia . From what i have heard,Quite often a person will have an undiagnosed vulnerability and then experience something that triggers a full blown psychosis or other poor mental health condition.. that's when the trouble starts..hearing voices, extreme anxiety inability to cope etc.. if you have family support you might be ok. If not then paranoid thoughts could lead to all sorts of things. Hopefully the health service will get involved before anything bad happens. I would say that if you are worried about someone keep plugging away until you get help for them,which can take time but is often the only way. I would say that somebody with poor mental health doesn't always show it,as quite often on the outside they may seem as if they are coping really well especially if they are an intelligent person, and actually you would think they are someone who copes well. I am not sure if this is off the subject and a bit rambling but just thought I'd add my ten penny's worth of the what popped into my head.

Reactions: TeeDee

Lean'n'mean

Settler
Nov 18, 2020
France
There are roughly the same number of new cases and deaths per year (52K & 12K) of prostate cancer as there are breast cancer - yet there is no regular screening or even any attempt at early detection as there is for women :(
Once you've past the risky age, you just have to go to your GP once a year & get a blood test to check your PSA levels. Easy, unobtrusive & can be done by your own volition, especially if you're genetically predisposed..........and yet things aren't so simple.
Screening as a rule, doesn't really work with fellas as they are usually reluctant to visit any kind of medical establishment unless they really have to. Women on the other hand, being the more intelligent of the species (& more courageous), realise that regular screenings & check-ups are preferable to leaving things too late..

Reactions: santaman2000
D

Deleted member 56522

Men die earlier, commit suicide more often, lose our freedom more often ... Women get far more spent on them in terms of health care, they used to retire earlier ... and women say society is unfair to them?

Reactions: CLEM

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE