interesting Novghorod spoon carving photos

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
http://users.stlcc.edu/mfuller/NizhnyEthno.html I came across this site which has some interesting old photos from Russia, shoowing various craft type things. About 3/4 of the way down the page are a few pictures of spoon carving, including a massive hollowing knife. It looks to have a handle around 2 inches diameter, but I reckon this will give a powerful torque twist to cut full width shavings out of the ladles. Theres also what looks like a spoon lathe in there. Apologies if its been noted and posted previously!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Those are wonderful. Thanks for posting that link. I wonder what the lacquer was that was used on those spoons? And you're right - that's a monster spoon knife!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Grand Dutchy of Finland imported huge amounts of cheap wooden spoons from Karelia during the late 19th century. I have a description of the process of making a wooden spoon in Finnish from year 1902. Supposedly it took them around five minutes to make one from a block of green wood. They did not use pieces of glass or sandpaper to finish the spoons.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE