Interesting Facts about Rabbits...

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
And not even they have it correct.

"Today, rabbit damage is reckoned at around £100 million a year. "

It's more like upwards of £250 million - it's not only crops that get damaged, but infrastructure too.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Rare rabbit

The Sumatran striped rabbit (Nesolagus netscheri) is so rare and shy that there is no word for it in the local language where it lives. It was thought extinct in the Thirties, and has only been seen three times since.

tiger_bun.jpg

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
I've never thought the Normans had anything to do with it, as I've always known my Roman ancestors brought them to Britain , along with pheasants.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Bones of other beasts brought in by Romans have been found. Great leap to say they introduced them.Strange that for something like six hundred years there isn't a mention of them. Then, why if they were common in the wild, would the Normans have gone to the expense of creating warrens? Regia Anglorum have done a fair amount of research and don't see rabbits until after the Normans. As with eels one would have expected part rents to have been paid in coneys, which they were not.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Same with Fallow deer, possibly here about ten thousand plus years ago then extinct. Bones found at Fishbourne Roman Villa so maybe some brought by Romans but not seen in the wild until after a Norman re-re-introduction. All this goes to show is that the past is more complicated than we thought.

Last edited:

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
As with eels one would have expected part rents to have been paid in coneys, which they were not.

If following the Roman model, rabbit would have been the farmed preserve of the ruling classes, not peasants, so no peasant would be paying rent in something he had no access to and could not afford even if he had.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
QUOTE=brambles;1301624]If following the Roman model, rabbit would have been the farmed preserve of the ruling classes, not peasants, so no peasant would be paying rent in something he had no access to and could not afford even if he had.[/QUOTE]

No mention of Roman peasant but of post-Roman Britain, eg Anglo-Saxon, when presumably the rabbits if "introduced" would have become numerous enough to be useful/a problem. And the Norman operated exactly that restriction for the elite, after introducing rabbits, again, keeping them in warrens.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE