Interesting Axe for restoration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
So a few months ago I made a post about a Brades axe I got and restored from a disused church that sells house removals, well I have been looking for a big felling axe to add to the family that currently consists of that Brade criterion hatchet and a Hultafor hunting axe.

I went back to the church yesterday to see what they had and on the axe front they were quite plentiful as they had 5 felling axes 3 of which while were in good order they weren't the pick of the litter, the other 2 consisted of a really nice great condition Elwell 5lb that had just a small amount of poll damage and needed a slight reprofile as the previous owner had sharpened the convex a bit flat but overall a nice axe with although no longer usable probably the best axe handle I have ever felt being slender, moderately curved and a beautiful fawns foot.

But on to what I got, I had been looking for a "welsh" pattern or pattern to match my swedish axe and when I saw it I knew it was the one. As you might be able to tell from the photos somebody has tried to restore this axe before so there are some grind marks but overall the condition isn't too bad it's just the edge that needs filing down a bit, a bit of sanding those grind marks out and a rehandle.
One thing is though i don't know the maker of the axe I'm sure It's old english maker but other than that I'm still searchingso any help would be great. Also If anyone has recommendations for which companies produce the best felling axe shafts I'd be very greatful.

Cheers.
36335506215_76120dbb94_o.jpg

36166800342_b8de4e31e5_o.jpg

Brandon-C

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2017
Highlands
So a bit of an update: I've ordered a new handle from wood smith experience it's a English felling axe handle which seemed to be the best handle for what I need. Also as you can see I've removed the old handle and next to the head you can see this big steel wedge that was used, there was no wooden wedge just that but I'll be using hultafors ring wedges though when I rehaft the head. Not too much work needed to be honest mostly just sanding the finish but the edge is already looking nice from the short filing I've done but I'll also dress up the edges around the axe with a file to make it look it's best.

Cheers.

36390910625_f598247ba0_k.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE