Have you heard about Estonia?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Thanks again!

As for my English - I was blessed with an anglophile grandmother who started teaching me the language when I was 5.

Regarding tourists - Official statistics put the number of tourists at around 2 million for 2010.

I found some other resources:

http://www.visitestonia.com/en/things-to-see-do/nature-tourism - Nature tourism section of our official tourist page.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj9BRdHhk2I - A short slideshow presentation about Estonia.

For me the best thing about Estonia is the population. Even though I live in what can be called a suburb there is so much to see and do out in the woods. Took a 3 hour trip yesterday in the surrounding woods and found numerous moose tracks. And even though the capital city is so close it's almost silent out in nature.

Another fun fact: a 1-room apartment in the city costs around 40000 to 80000 euros, but you can buy around 100000 square meters of forested land within 30km of the capital for 5000 to 8000 euros, if you search around for a bit.
Makes me wonder about priorities. I'd rather buy the land and learn to build a log cabin with a wood stove than be cramped in a small apartment on the 10th floor.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
im lucky as ive been to Estonia many times, love the place, beautiful country and some of the kindest most welcoming people i have ever had the pleasure to meet, this is one of the few pictures i have on my computer of Tallinn, i have loads of others (6x4's) in storage in the loft, might have to go searching later:D

Tallin5.jpg

ledders666

Jun 6, 2010
bath
sounds a lovely place. I will be driving through there in august as im going on holiday in a van im converting. What places would you recommend seeing the most?
Josh

v-ness

Oct 9, 2010
on a hill in Scotland
Hello and welcome to the forum :)

We've been to Estonia several times in different season and have always greatly enjoyed it.

Beautiful countryside and lovely people!

Cheers
Ness :)

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
sounds a lovely place. I will be driving through there in august as im going on holiday in a van im converting. What places would you recommend seeing the most?

Hi Josh and sorry, I was writing an elaborate answer earlier today and managed to click a wrong button, so it all disappeared. :(

Anyways, the short version:

1. Look through this page: http://rmk.ee/subject-headings/for-hikers
It's the State Forest Management Center, they manage a bucketload of trails, camping sites and forest huts, all of which can be used for free.
2. Two huge forests in northern Estonia - around Aegviidu and Alutaguse.
Aegviidu is nice and close to Lahemaa national park (the biggest) which basically has it all - bogs, forests and a nice sea shore.
Alutaguse has the largest populations of brown bear and wolf - use a guided tour.
3. In the autumn definitely go to either a bog or a pine forest. They are full of wild berries and mushrooms.

As I said before, anyone coming to visit is more than welcome to contact me! :)

Oh and I've heard a lot of good things about Bulgaria too, my classmate in college in Denmark was a Bulgarian, he spoke nothing but good things about the country, I'm definitely going to visit.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
The only things I know about Estonia are their really quite excellent communications and IT networks. They are trully way ahead of Britain in that respoect. That is why they probably have one of the biggest internet or IT services sector out of whole of Europe (certainly for its size).

The other thing is the arborial nature if its countryside. I always thought of it as a kind of Sweden in that respect. Been to Sweden a few times for business and always found the flight over (or at least the last bit as we're descending through the cloud) really fascinating. Its the woodland you seen. We just don't have that totally natural woodland in anyway near as splendid condition. Its the natural clearings, the clearings for bogs and tarns (sorry I'm from Lakes, if they're small they're tarns to me). Its just a different world for me. If the Estonians are anything like the Swedish in Gothenburg (lasses I'm thinking about here) then I am sure I will like your country too!! ;-)

On another note, I have to say being a Brit with limited experience outside UK the idea of just going out on my own into your forests would give me more than a few worries. I have been to forests / woods in UK, France, Germany and a few other western European countries but they are much closer to UK ones. I have the idea that Estonian forests, and indeed any Scandinavian ones too, are quite untouched and primal. That means you can't just head out and walk where you want to. There are more hazards that I for one have no experience. Where I am there are no longer wild boars (human bores excepted), bears or linx. No moose or other large animal. Not an issue as such if you stick to proper trails which I guess there are plenty.

I do like the idea that is more prevalent in Scandinavia and the more easter european countries that the land is for all and it is a resource to be used and looked after. I work with enough Polish guys to know that their attitude is, have gun / fishing gear will and can use it. Everything is just easier for people wanting to get out there and do it. Or at least that is the impression.

Anyway, I'm off to Scotland in about a month which is probably the closest in Britain that we can get to freedom. I fully intend to light fires and wild camp freely there. Shout at the hills, howl at the moon and anything else I goddamn want!! BTW I will be out there on my own for a full week so those last two activities are highly likely as it is my first ever solo trip, its a long one for me, I'm on my own and its to a wild (for Brits anyway) part of our country too. I fully expect to see noone the whole week.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I have the idea that Estonian forests, and indeed any Scandinavian ones too, are quite untouched and primal. That means you can't just head out and walk where you want to. There are more hazards that I for one have no experience. Where I am there are no longer wild boars (human bores excepted), bears or linx. No moose or other large animal. Not an issue as such if you stick to proper trails which I guess there are plenty.

I doubt there are such things as untouched forests in any part of Europe, save for parts of Russia west of the Urals. The most remote part in Finland is situated some 30 kilometers from the nearest road. The situation at Southern Finland is much different; dirt roads can be found every kilometer or so.

Some of the forest may seem like they are in their natural state but are in fact cut down a hundred years ago. What comes for the risk of coming by a large animal, moose is the most dangerous one! I have seen a moose cow with a calf walking in a quite busy forest trail in Northern Finland, and not speaking about several reindeers I have witnessed. The largest hazard beside a moose hitting your car is ruining your day by having your shoe stucked in a bog I reckon.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Yes Martti, quite true.

Even though we have a lot of forests in Estonia, you are never far from a road or a trail. It is entirely different from Canada or Russia for example. In Estonia just walking out is almost always an option.

No single forest is too big, but there are smaller ones everywhere. In my home village the surrounding forests are maybe patches of a few hundred meters to a few kilometers across, yet since there are so few of us Estonians they are almost trackless and junk-free. During my 3 hour walk on Sunday I came across only a single beer can, but saw moose tracks in 4 and droppings in 6 different places.
I think that's the big difference. You can't get lost, but you can find solitude and peace easily.

As for dangers, I've never quite thought about them. I've grown up knowing that there are bears, wolves and moose in the woods and have gone there regardless of that.

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
Of course I heard about Estonia... we small nations tend to know each other:) I have a friend from Latvia, and I always wanted to visit baltic countries... and as a woodsman I am, my number one is Estonia. I am also glad my own thread encouraged you to start this one. Looking forward to see more of your pics!:)

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Great thread.

Estonia is certainly on my visit list. I think it's fair to say that the British regard Estonia (and Latvia and Lithuania; Poland too) rather well - we know they suffered so much in the World War, and then again in the Cold War. To see them risen again as proud, free nations is undoubtedly a good thing (especially Estonia, which has an excellent record on human rights, press freedom, etc)

Also very interested to see that nowhere in Finland is more than 30km from a road. In the UK I have read that nowhere is more than 6 miles from a metalled road. Certainly I thought Finland felt much wilder, although I could see that most of the forests were not 'old growth' forests, but had been felled at some point in the past.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I doubt there are such things as untouched forests in any part of Europe, save for parts of Russia west of the Urals. The most remote part in Finland is situated some 30 kilometers from the nearest road. The situation at Southern Finland is much different; dirt roads can be found every kilometer or so.

Some of the forest may seem like they are in their natural state but are in fact cut down a hundred years ago. What comes for the risk of coming by a large animal, moose is the most dangerous one! I have seen a moose cow with a calf walking in a quite busy forest trail in Northern Finland, and not speaking about several reindeers I have witnessed. The largest hazard beside a moose hitting your car is ruining your day by having your shoe stucked in a bog I reckon.

Yeah figured about the moose. My Granddad is from USA up near Canadian border and he once told me he'd got chased by a moose but obviously got away somehow. Reckon it lost interest in him. Plenty of forest up there too despite the logging. His family were all loggers. Quite a hairy occupation back then with the nearest doctor being so far away that any serious injury you were better off just making them comfortable and wait for them to die. I think it was my Great, great uncle who got taken by a kickback.

You reckon 30km from the nearest road? That is so far. Over here in Britain I think it was our Ordinance Survey who looked into the place which is the furthest away from signs of human presence. Turns out that our excelent national mapping service came up with a location. Can't remember where it was but do remember it was only 7 miles from the nearest sign of human presence!! I'll take your 30km over 7 miles and be happy.

Wouldn't have guessed about the tree having been mostly cut down 100 years ago. Humans do like to make their mark on the planet don't we?!

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Also very interested to see that nowhere in Finland is more than 30km from a road. In the UK I have read that nowhere is more than 6 miles from a metalled road.

A majority of these roads are not actually used much during the year as they are logging roads made for the trucks that ship the logs out of the forest during the winter time.

Wouldn't have guessed about the tree having been mostly cut down 100 years ago. Humans do like to make their mark on the planet don't we?!

However I must add that it is quite easy to find several hundred year old trees in Lapland, although a forest full of these trees is a rare sight indeed.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I know there are some work on formalizing the cooperation between the Swedish Survival Guild, the Finnish survival guild and various Estornian groups. There is a group from us here in Sweden that will go over to particioate in Põrgupõhja Retk this summer.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
Well here's something that characterises the weather in Estonia:

2e834793-0b30-3ca3.jpg

2e834793-0b46-a879.jpg

Choosing the proper clothing is hard. Went to work in the morning with a jacket, since it was a bit chilly. Came back all sweaty.

Also going out in the winter is an entirely different ball game than the other 3 seasons.

tetra_neon

Forager
Oct 1, 2005
E Mids
Hi Jaan,

I met an Estonian girl and went to visit her recently. Amazing country with a great history. We visited Kohtla-Jarve, her home town, and I've never seen such amazing wildlife. One evening, from a balcony I identified several members of the elusive Narkomaan species and I could have stayed to observe their habits for hours! Haha

But seriously, it really is a beautiful country and I hope to go back soon to visit her relatives in Saareema.. Thanks for the maaturism.ee link

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE