Interested in Viking/Anglo Saxon leather decorating

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Can anyone tell me what techniques were used in the Dark Ages to decorate leather? Perhaps show some examples? I'd like to do some work on that line, particularly a sheath for my seax knife but also for pouches and the like :)

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
It might be worth dropping Eric Methven a PM... He's well up on his Dark Ages leatherworking.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Archaeological finds from the period include simple embossing and surface cutting techniques.

A lot of re-enactors use leather carving techniques similar to modern methods but I don't know of any real evidence for this in Viking / Saxon finds.

There is a good knife sheath that was found at Coppergate in York where conditions were really good for leather finds. There is also a similar find from Gloucester.

The most common form of decoration found at York is impression with a simple tool. Ring and dot punching is also known and some of the more elaborate sheaths show embossing work.

The best general source of information I have found is "Leather and leatherworking in Anglo-Scandinavian and Medieval York" by Quita Mould, Ian Carlisle and Ester Cameron.

Indoorsout

Settler
Apr 29, 2008
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks Wayland. I'll have to save up for that book though, it's over £40 on Amazon s/h and out of print now :(

Don't suppose you know of any online resources where I could see examples of work from that era - either reconstructed or original would do :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE