interested in getting a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
HI,

Title says it all really :)

Was really looking for a few recommendation's - I really fancy getting a hammock and using it for some light-weight camping / trecking. I'll yet still to convince the other half though :)

Any thoughts / recommendation's? I've got a cheap 4-quid jobbie for lazing about in the garden, but not sure if it's really up for the task of sleeping out :)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Go for a Hennessy link here - widely regarded as the best the market has to offer along with a selection of models to suit your particular need. A cheaper alternative is a DD Hammock (eBay is your best bet for these) which is still a good hammock but lacking some of the quality,finish and finery of the Hennessy. I have both and can vouch that they are a very comfortable option (when you sort out a big enough sleeping bag ;) ) I would most certainly also consider purchasing an underquilt if you plan to use a hammock throughout the Autumn and Winter

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Dave,

Silverback's recommendation is a good one, the Hennessy is an excellent hammock but is quite expensive, the DD is a good cheap alternative (if you get the one with built in mossie net.

The group buy hammock - as mentioned by Woodmunky - is excellent although you need to get a seperate mossie net if you need it. The group buy is also the lightest of the three so if weight is a consideration.

I own and use both the group buy and the DD hammock and the group buy is much better than the DD as it's huge. The DD is a thai hammock which means it is constructed as an envelope so you can get inside it for a bit of extra protection.

Rgds

David

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
What does the group buy hammock look like? I'd really like to put my name down for one, but i have no idea what it is i'd be buying or how much it'd cost... been hunting through the previous threads and found a lot about how people want one, but haven't actually seen what 'one' looks like lol

Can you help Moduser? I feel a tad beaten by this lol

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
I agree that the group buy hammock is a better one but if money is tight or you don't want to spend too much on something you don't know if you'll like using, I would advise the DD hammock(camping or travel).

If you do go for the DD hammock get it from they're website, its cheaper than eBay and BCUK members get a £2 discount.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
I've been using the Group buy hammock for just over a year now and have not been tempted to even try out the others out on the market. Get the best nights sleep from it and its a steal at under £20. Add to that a magikelly gb mosi-net, a tarp and some climbing tape and you have a full hammock and basha set up for well under £100

Oct 5, 2006
Cheshire, UK
I'm looking at the DD Camping Hammock and I've a question if someone can help me out.

I like the idea that you can sleep 'inside' the hammock and I was wondering if that means you could do without a tarp? Additionally, I notice the hammock is made from nylon yet is described as breathable? Since childhood 95% of my tents have been nylon and all have terrible condensation problems... is the same true of this type of hammock setup?

Until considering hammocks I was looking at something like a hooped gore-tex bivi bag... similar weight and size as a hammock but obviously on the ground... can anyone help with a list of pro's & con's vs. the hammock/tarp ?

Many thanks.

James_m246

Forager
Oct 12, 2006
Suffolk, UK.
I would say go for the group buy hammock aswell, I didn't realise another one was on already.
Its better and cheaper than either of the DD hammocks so i'd definately get in there before they're all gone.

scaleyback

Sep 30, 2006
sheffield
i have a british army jungle issue hammock, its great can be strung or sapling poles put through the sleeves stretcher style, and the best part was it was only £9.95, see the pic in gallery, called my camp

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE