Intellectual betterment.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Nothing can be prooved as we could exist as only the constructs of our own imaginations.

You claim that, but where is the flaw in "If nothing can be proven, then that also cannot be proven, therefore there can be things that can be proven" ?
Proofs can still be valid, no matter where they come from.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You claim that, but where is the flaw in "If nothing can be proven, then that also cannot be proven, therefore there can be things that can be proven" ?

No - you are implying that because something cannot be prooven it isn't true, I am not. Just because something cannot be prooven it doesn't mean it isn't true.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
I seem to be taking this to a whole new level lol.

The fact is, we as humans have a need, this need is to understand the why, how, where and when.

As we can't actually know so we make up a system to allow us to explain these points but these systems are flawed as they are just made up.

Well, that's YOUR definition of "flawed", yet you can not point out any flaws!
Again: Where is the flaw in "If nothing can be proven, then that also cannot be proven, therefore there can be things that can be proven" ?
Come on, answer me that.

What i'm trying to say is that our basis for explanation has no basis.

1 plus 1 cant equal 2 because 1 is a made up concept and so is 2

This is because of your idea that "made up" automatically means "flawed"?

, it's like me saying ghjkkjhgfdffg plus dfghnnbghuytghjuyh equals dfghytbmmmjuikjh which is exactly the same as the above sum.

No it is not like that, because you have not supplied any definition for "ghjkkjhgfdffg", "dfghnnbghuytghjuyh", "dfghytbmmmjuikjh", "plus" and "equals".
Numbers and arithmetical operations are well-defined, that makes the difference.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Things can be proven mathamatically ie 1 plus 1 equals 2 but i could also say, in scottishwandererism 1 plus 1 equals 9.

Both are correct but only within boundaries of it's own field which is inherently flawed.

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Well, that's YOUR definition of "flawed", yet you can not point out any flaws!
Again: Where is the flaw in "If nothing can be proven, then that also cannot be proven, therefore there can be things that can be proven" ?

There isn't one i can see but that means nothing.
Come on, answer me that.

This is because of your idea that "made up" automaticcaly means "flawed"?

No it is not like that, because you have not supplied any definition for "ghjkkjhgfdffg", "dfghnnbghuytghjuyh", "dfghytbmmmjuikjh", "plus" and "equals".
Numbers and arithmetical operations are well-defined, that makes the difference.

Okay fghjhgfderfv means hgfdfgtyhmjj, jhgfrgffd means dgtyhgfvfghn plus means iuyhgbvfg and equals means ujhgddxcdfv , by running that through the answer is drtgbnmjhgbv

That is clearly defined therefore makes sense?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Surely it doesn't matter if things are made up it only matter how many people subscribe to the idea presented to them, enough peeps then its taken as the norm and enters into fact, then gets compared to other mass held ideas untill it either over welms the other idea or they are both held in equal regard and start to co exist in a relative balance, of course and some points one idea will be held by more peeps than the other but then after a time it will swing the other way, balancing things out,

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset

This is too broad. We are talking, I am talking, about a situation when someone makes an assertion, a bold and concrete assertion, then produces no evidence to back it up. Therefore there is no proof.

Proof comes in many forms, but it really does matter where it comes from. Ask a homeopath if homeopathy works, and they will show you proof. Show that proof to a scientist and they will laugh their head off. Ask a devout Christian how we all got here, and they will show you proof that we were created by a higher being, who worked tirelessly for 6 days before knocking off for several thousand years. Speak to a evolutionist and you get different proof.

Just because someone produces proof, it is important to examine that proof yourself.

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
Okay fghjhgfderfv means hgfdfgtyhmjj, jhgfrgffd means dgtyhgfvfghn plus means iuyhgbvfg and equals means ujhgddxcdfv , by running that through the answer is drtgbnmjhgbv

That is clearly defined therefore makes sense?

Aaaaaaaaaaand I'm out. Ha ha, you certainly showed me, I didn't have an answer to that!

Mar 1, 2011
Fife, Scotland
Surely it doesn't matter if things are made up it only matter how many people subscribe to the idea presented to them, enough peeps then its taken as the norm and enters into fact, then gets compared to other mass held ideas untill it either over welms the other idea or they are both held in equal regard and start to co exist in a relative balance, of course and some points one idea will be held by more peeps than the other but then after a time it will swing the other way, balancing things out,

All the post below my last one have made more sense in getting across my point than i did lol.

I agree with this but just because more people believe it doesn't mean it's true.

For example people used to think the earth was flat, so it was, now people think it's round, give it 1 million years and everyone might think it's square.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
My apologies, I was wrong, my lowest IQ was 138. Even so, my paperwork from MENSA proves that your grasp of their ratings is flawed and at even that low score, it still rates as higher than 99.6% of the population. I have no idea how they score it either. But it is their score...

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00121-1.jpg

Move the knife, and unblur the results.

We all believe that the sheet is yours, we all know your name is Jonatahan Deval, and you live in Stourton, obviously blur the address if you must, but leave everything else. I reckon you did a home test and submitted the results. The letter states that they believe you should take a supervised test at one of their test centres, 'see list enclosed'. It even compares your result with those "derived from supervised tests".

The letter says your IQ 'appears to be', not 'is'.

You're in hole Jonathan aren't you?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE