insulation priority...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
...above or below?

I'm going to stitch a couple of rectangular sleeping bags to my hammock - one below as a permanent UQ and one above, directly to the built in mozzie net. Hey presto, one side-entry coccoon.

My question is this:

the two sleeping bags I intend to use are not of an equal rating - which would you put on top - the heavier thicker warmer one or the lesser rated one?

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
lesser rated, I'd like the warmer one underneath where my butt is close to the cold night air.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd put the lighter bag on top. Conductive heat loss is greater on the underside than the top.

Be careful of the stitching though, or you may have two small hammocks and a bruise. Also, with a permanently attached UQ, you will also not have any means of regulating your temperature by dropping it a bit, and may end up in a sweat bath if its warm.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Be careful of the stitching though, or you may have two small hammocks and a bruise. Also, with a permanently attached UQ, you will also not have any means of regulating your temperature by dropping it a bit, and may end up in a sweat bath if its warm.

Agreed :)
Suspending it by some bungee cord would give you more flexibility like Teepee says, plus I think if you stitch the bottom one onto your hammock it will still compress when you lye in it as it will try to stretch out like the hammock fabric. Can you think of another way to hold it in place but a bit less permanent ? Buttons or toggles might work but bungee is a lot easier.

Make sure you put some pics up for us as I'll be interested to hear how it goes

Petey

Forager
Oct 4, 2009
Rayleigh, Essex
yeah, I guess I could, but I'm wanting to have one item that can be slung up under a tarp and be done with it. I want to be able to get up in the middle of the night to have a p1ss or have a little wander around under the stars without all the fuss that a seperate coccoon/sleeping bag/TQ would cause.

The heavier sleeping bag is actually 10cm longer and (unzipped) 20cm wider than the hammock, so I'm hoping that if I sew all corresponding corners and edges together first, the UQ will avoid being compressed (thanks for sharing that concern Shewie).

I'll deal with the TQ part in a couple of weeks...

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd get somebody to hold it up and mark it out whilst you get in the hammock, if you manage to get lucky by doing it like you've said then that's a cracking result. What you need to try and get is the sleeping bag snugly up against the bottom of the hammock without any gaps. Kind of like this ....

ridge.jpg

It might be a good idea to put some bungee or paracord in the end so you can cinch it up a bit

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I 've often wondered if this stuff may be of any use to you lot? You could make the bottom segment from it?
There are a few UQ's of that kind of insulation doing the rounds at HF. Condensation would be a problem with a breathable hammock, but with a dd travel it would not. I have used the pound shop windscreen reflectors very successfully between the layers for a while now, they are warmer than the equivalent weight and bulk of foam mats.
Whats the weight per sq meter, do you know Teedee? I've not seen that brand before, if its light and compactable enough, it may be worth knocking an UQ up out of it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hello Teepee , TeeDee here , weight per sq meter , No idea I;m afraid old bean , never used it before , just 'knew' about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE